ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
AlfredOne
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by AlfredOne »

xeno74 wrote:
AlfredOne wrote: i have to resolve only The Sata hd detection problem And then my wife could use Ubuntu on The X1000. Otherwise i should buy a new PC. Plese help me To understand where is The problem! :!: :mrgreen:
Hi AlfredOne,

Could you please send me your dmesg output? Maybe there are some error messages. Did you try to boot it with the unique UUID of your partition?

First, you have to find out the UUID of your partition with blkid. After that you have to set up your bootargs in the CFE.

For example:

Code: Select all

CFE> setenv bootargs "root=UUID=ae875d31-cc84-4349-95d7-01a82ad76d61  quiet ro splash"
Please post your /etc/fstab additionally.

Thanks,
Christian
This is /etc/fstab when i boot from HD:
-----------------------------------------------
overlay / overlay rw 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0
------------------------------------------------

This is what i see if i use UUID in bootargs:
Without rootdelay=5
Without rootdelay=5
After booting once from LIVE DVD, then i can boot from HD with root=/dev/sdc3.
If i try with root=UUID=... i always have kernel panic.
Amiga500 Kickstart1.3
AmigaONE XE G4 833MHz - 2GB RAM - Radeon9200 256MB
AmigaONE X1000 - 2GB RAM
  • Radeon R9-280X 3GB
  • Radeon HIS4670 1GB DDR3
  • Radeon RX550
My site: https://project4a.eu
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

AlfredOne wrote:
overlay / overlay rw 0 0

20161212_231040.jpg
Hi AlfredOne,

I think you have to replace the root partition in the fstab.

For example:

UUID=02438ad4-3dca-4220-8383-e0eda470ee67             /               ext4    errors=remount-ro      0       1
instead of

overlay / overlay rw 0 0
Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
AlfredOne
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by AlfredOne »

xeno74 wrote:
AlfredOne wrote:
overlay / overlay rw 0 0

20161212_231040.jpg
Hi AlfredOne,

I think you have to replace the root partition in the fstab.

For example:

UUID=02438ad4-3dca-4220-8383-e0eda470ee67             /               ext4    errors=remount-ro      0       1
instead of

overlay / overlay rw 0 0
Cheers,
Christian
Hi Christian,
i modified fstab but it doesn't resolve the problem.
I'm not a linux expert, but i think the problem is very early in the startup phase. /etc/fstab is not accessible if linux can't mount the root partition, is it?
Booting with bootargs 'root=/dev/sdc3 rootdelay=5' i can see following logs:
BOOT_FAILED_01.jpg
BOOT_FAILED_02.jpg
In the 1st pic you can see that only one IDE HD on sda (MAXTOR 80GB) is detected and my CompactFlash (32GB) on sdb.
My SATA HDs are not detected at all.

But if i boot from DVD, then all HD are detected (SATA HDs mapped on sda and sdb , IDE HD on sdc and CompactFlash on sdd. From that moment on, i can boot even without DVD after a reset.
After a poweroff the problem come back.
Amiga500 Kickstart1.3
AmigaONE XE G4 833MHz - 2GB RAM - Radeon9200 256MB
AmigaONE X1000 - 2GB RAM
  • Radeon R9-280X 3GB
  • Radeon HIS4670 1GB DDR3
  • Radeon RX550
My site: https://project4a.eu
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

AlfredOne wrote: Hi Christian,
i modified fstab but it doesn't resolve the problem.
I'm not a linux expert, but i think the problem is very early in the startup phase. /etc/fstab is not accessible if linux can't mount the root partition, is it?
Booting with bootargs 'root=/dev/sdc3 rootdelay=5' i can see following logs:
BOOT_FAILED_01.jpg
BOOT_FAILED_02.jpg
In the 1st pic you can see that only one IDE HD on sda (MAXTOR 80GB) is detected and my CompactFlash (32GB) on sdb.
My SATA HDs are not detected at all.

But if i boot from DVD, then all HD are detected (SATA HDs mapped on sda and sdb , IDE HD on sdc and CompactFlash on sdd. From that moment on, i can boot even without DVD after a reset.
After a poweroff the problem come back.
AlfredOne,

There are a lot of error messages (COMRESET failed (errno=-16) .. lost interrupt ... limiting speed). I think it is more a hardware problem but I am not sure because I don't have a HD connected to the PATA IDE. Could you please check the cables or maybe replace them.

Cheers,
Christian

corto
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by corto »

xeno74 wrote:Hi All,

I am looking for testers for testing the X1000 ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS live DVD version 3.

Download: ubuntu-mate-16.04.1-desktop-powerpc-x1000-3.iso
I've tested it today in order to install Ubuntu on a hard drive, on my X1000 that has a Radeon HD6570.

I've successfully booted the Live DVD.

I tried the first installer on the desktop and I got an internal error of ubiquity.

So I tried the second one, the alternative script. I created my partitions and the system was copied.

Now I want to boot on the hard drive. Is it possible to boot directly? Or do I have to put some files (like the kernel) on a USB stick?

In the second case ... where do I get file matching with this installation? The script should print details about the next steps, once all the system has been copied from the DVD to the partition.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

corto wrote: I've tested it today in order to install Ubuntu on a hard drive, on my X1000 that has a Radeon HD6570.

I've successfully booted the Live DVD.
Fantastic! :-)
corto wrote: I tried the first installer on the desktop and I got an internal error of ubiquity.
Good to know.
corto wrote: So I tried the second one, the alternative script. I created my partitions and the system was copied.

Now I want to boot on the hard drive. Is it possible to boot directly? Or do I have to put some files (like the kernel) on a USB stick?
Yes, of course. :-) Here is an example for a ubuntu MATE installation on /dev/sdb1 and using the kernel 4.9 on the CF card.

Copy the kernel 4.9 to the CF card if you have booted the live DVD.

Reboot your AmigaONE X1000 and enter the firmware. If you have autoboot set up, press CTRL-C. If you have the latest menu-enabled firmware, press the F key to enter the firmware.

setenv -p MENU_2_COMMAND 'setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdb1" ; boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-4.9'

setenv -p MENU_2_LABEL "ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS"
corto wrote: In the second case ... where do I get file matching with this installation? The script should print details about the next steps, once all the system has been copied from the DVD to the partition.
Good hint! :-)

corto
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by corto »

@xeno74

Thanks for the answer, that allowed me to (finally) boot my X1000 with Linux !

I had to reformat the USB pen because I had an error saying the file vmlinux-4.9 was not a valid ELF file. After I formated it (I got hint here and copied again files, I booted! I am wrting this message on the X1000.

I had the message:
systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

Is there something to do?

Then, I have to say that the user experience is a bit disappointing ... but it seems the gfx acceleration is not enabled. glxinfo says:

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

Too bad, I thought that once installed and with a successful boot, that would be enabled automatically.

So, what can I do?
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

corto wrote:@xeno74

Thanks for the answer, that allowed me to (finally) boot my X1000 with Linux !

I had to reformat the USB pen because I had an error saying the file vmlinux-4.9 was not a valid ELF file. After I formated it (I got hint here and copied again files, I booted! I am wrting this message on the X1000.

I had the message:
systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

Is there something to do?

Then, I have to say that the user experience is a bit disappointing ... but it seems the gfx acceleration is not enabled. glxinfo says:

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

Too bad, I thought that once installed and with a successful boot, that would be enabled automatically.

So, what can I do?

Hello Corto, you need a xorg.conf as it isn't generated automatically (maybe Xeno changed the script so it does - I don't know). You then need the radeon driver, mesa package and making sure that your xorg.conf file enables the radeon driver. We talked about it a lot in this forum.
corto
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by corto »

Srtest wrote: Hello Corto, you need a xorg.conf as it isn't generated automatically (maybe Xeno changed the script so it does - I don't know). You then need the radeon driver, mesa package and making sure that your xorg.conf file enables the radeon driver. We talked about it a lot in this forum.
Ok, I will read again several places in the forum. We talked about it a lot in this forum but information is dispatched here and there, and I think it is difficult to put all the pieces together. With this ISO and the install script, I thought the X configuration will be done automatically.

If it is generated automatically, where is it copied?
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

corto wrote:
Srtest wrote: Hello Corto, you need a xorg.conf as it isn't generated automatically (maybe Xeno changed the script so it does - I don't know). You then need the radeon driver, mesa package and making sure that your xorg.conf file enables the radeon driver. We talked about it a lot in this forum.
Ok, I will read again several places in the forum. We talked about it a lot in this forum but information is dispatched here and there, and I think it is difficult to put all the pieces together. With this ISO and the install script, I thought the X configuration will be done automatically.

If it is generated automatically, where is it copied?
I currently use an experimental version of Xserver (19) which finally does it for us on command: sudo X :1 -configure. The output can be found on /home/installation name as xorg.conf.new which then needs to copied to /etc/X11 as xorg.conf. I don't know if Xorg 18.4 also does that - you can try the command and review the output (If not you can find various xorg.conf files on this forum). Then you can even try to load it from there (after closing down the session on console) but you need to edit it first so you'll get radeon in the driver section:

_____
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "radeon"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
_____