Backup problem

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Backup problem

Post by kilaueabart »

I tried out the "Backups" item in the MATE System > Preference > Personal menu. It seems to work OK, but it saves to a folder called "deja-dup" in my home directory.

That seems unsatisfactory. I want to back up in case something goes wrong such that I lose my home directory and perhaps most everything else on this disk. So I decided to try to save to a different hard drive, specifically some of the vast empty space on my Amiga OS4 disk, and I prepared a partition on it (/dev/sda9) formatted ext4.

Then I set "storage location" in Backups to /dev/sda9 and turned Backups on.

I suppose I'm the only one who doesn't understand why that doesn't work, but it doesn't because that location "is not a directory." I thought maybe I could put a directory in that partition with mkdir, but that doesn't work either, and I can't even cd to the partition, for the same reason. (It's "not a directory.")

I post this in hope that someone will tell me how to get a directory into /dev/sda9.
xeno74

Re: Backup problem

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:I tried out the "Backups" item in the MATE System > Preference > Personal menu. It seems to work OK, but it saves to a folder called "deja-dup" in my home directory.

That seems unsatisfactory. I want to back up in case something goes wrong such that I lose my home directory and perhaps most everything else on this disk. So I decided to try to save to a different hard drive, specifically some of the vast empty space on my Amiga OS4 disk, and I prepared a partition on it (/dev/sda9) formatted ext4.

Then I set "storage location" in Backups to /dev/sda9 and turned Backups on.

I suppose I'm the only one who doesn't understand why that doesn't work, but it doesn't because that location "is not a directory." I thought maybe I could put a directory in that partition with mkdir, but that doesn't work either, and I can't even cd to the partition, for the same reason. (It's "not a directory.")

I post this in hope that someone will tell me how to get a directory into /dev/sda9.
Maybe you need to execute the backup program as root.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Re: Backup problem

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:Maybe you need to execute the backup program as root.
Not sure how I would have done that, but when I checked it out on Google, I found that "Backups" apparently runs a program called Deja-Dup, and that Deja-Dup is not a very trustworthy program, just "easy to use," so I will find another way to do backups.