Network problem

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Network problem

Post by kilaueabart »

In April 2015 I started a thread "Wired Network disconnected," because that message had been annoying me almost every time I booted Ubuntu. The end result was that I took Christian's advice to edit connections and delete Wired. That did the trick; I haven't been annoyed by that message since.

Lately I have been trying to get Wi-fi with a USB dongle. It works to the extent that the name of my wi-fi connection, but attempts to really connect have failed after a few seconds. But one thing that has caught my attention is the fact that while trying to connect, the icon up at the top of the screen changes from up-down arrows to the radiating fan-shaped one that used to signal my troublesome wired connection.

It's probably a silly idea, but that made me wonder if perhaps wi-fi is dependent on the wired connection, aka "PA Semi-PWRfficient Gigabit Ethernet," currently listed as "device not managed." I tried to reinstate the deleted Wired connection, but "Wired" is not one of the seven connection types offered.

Meanwhile I got to studying the AmigaONE X1000 Technical Reference Manual again. The Ethernet section mentions a Vitesse VSC8221 Gigabit Ethernet PHY, wired to an RJ45 uplink connector. This caught my attention, because I occasionally get a mysterious message about problems finding "phy." So I opened the box and tracked down those two items.

I noticed that nothing was plugged in to the RJ45 connector. Then I went to the AmigaONE X1000 Quick Start Guide. It said I should connect my Network cable to the RJ45. Mine was plugged into something far below, not sure what. So I replugged my internet cable to the RJ45 as instructed by the Quick Start Guide, rebooted, and YAM and Odyssey could no longer go on line. I switched the cable back to the lower connection.

Color me "puzzleder and puzzleder."
mechanic

Re: Network problem

Post by mechanic »

Yea, networking can be tricky.

Here's one thing. Each RJ45 connector on your computer has it's own MAC number, like 12:34:56:78:A2:9F. The router (if your using DHCP) relates that number to the hostname of the computer. So your lower connection number is assigned to the hostname of your computer. If you move the wire to the upper RJ45 the router may not allow the same hostname on a different number.

Try shutting down the computer AND the router, move the wire to the upper RJ45, restart the router and let it settle down and then start the computer. The router should reassign the hostname of your computer to the new MAC number of the upper connection.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thanks for the help. It will take a bit of study on my part. The Architecture chart on p. 7 of my Technical Reference Manual shows only one RJ45, right below the dual USB port stack, and in fact that is the only thing of the order I could find when I opened my case. But as I mentioned before, when I plugged my network cable into it, I could not go on-line with AOS4. I wouldn't expect it to be different on the Ubuntu side, but I'll certainly give it a try.

It works plugged into whatever I have in slot 7. The diagram says it should be a PC1 32 bit, and I have no reason to believe it isn't (I don't know what one is, to tell the truth. I'll google that in a moment). That and slot 1 are the only ones that have anything in them.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

kilaueabart wrote:Thanks for the help. It will take a bit of study on my part. The Architecture chart on p. 7 of my Technical Reference Manual shows only one RJ45, right below the dual USB port stack,
That is the PA6T one and as far as I know it only works on Linux. The one on the PCI card should work for both OS's.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.