New Linux user, almost

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.

New Linux user, almost

Postby tbreeden » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:06 am

Hello all,

Mate 17.04 remix-6 downloaded and installed on USB flash.
Quickly realized it needed to go onto a hard drive.

Installed onto a second hard drive using the CF0: for booting Linux.

It's beautiful! with Firefox 52 and LibreOffice working like
a charm. Thanks to everyone for this resource!

A few glitches so far, I suspect mostly because I don't know
what to do with Linux.

> Using the "Users and Groups" Administration in the GUI I
can add a new user, and make it pretty identical to the
amigaone user. However, I could not log in as that user
even after multiple careful tries with the password I
had assigned, and multiple repeats of the whole new user
process.

Finally, I tried the "passwd" terminal command on the
new user and found it took it right that way.

Why did the GUI not work (and not give an error)?

> The Help menu on the GUI utilities seems to go
to the correct manual, but always shows only a
plank white page.

> Some of the install instructions I've found here say
to install the Linux kernel and the "dtb file" onto
the boot device.

What is the "dtb" file? Is it the "initrd.img" file?
What does it do?

> It seems that there are 3 or 4 software update
utilities in the GUI. Which should be used? or
should it be done from the terminal?

> I used kernel 4.9.32. Am I advised to replace
it with a newer one?

Thanks for your patience,

Tom
User avatar
tbreeden
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:57 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA, USA

Re: New Linux user, almost

Postby xeno74 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi Tom,

tbreeden wrote:Hello all,

Mate 17.04 remix-6 downloaded and installed on USB flash.
Quickly realized it needed to go onto a hard drive.

Installed onto a second hard drive using the CF0: for booting Linux.

It's beautiful! with Firefox 52 and LibreOffice working like
a charm. Thanks to everyone for this resource!


My pleasure :-)

tbreeden wrote:A few glitches so far, I suspect mostly because I don't know
what to do with Linux.

> Using the "Users and Groups" Administration in the GUI I
can add a new user, and make it pretty identical to the
amigaone user. However, I could not log in as that user
even after multiple careful tries with the password I
had assigned, and multiple repeats of the whole new user
process.


Mmmmhh, I added a new user without any problems yesterday.

tbreeden wrote: > The Help menu on the GUI utilities seems to go
to the correct manual, but always shows only a
plank white page.


Unfortunately it's a bug. :-(

tbreeden wrote: > Some of the install instructions I've found here say
to install the Linux kernel and the "dtb file" onto
the boot device.

What is the "dtb" file? Is it the "initrd.img" file?
What does it do?


The kernel for the AmigaOne X5000 no longer contains the description of the hardware, it is located in a separate binary: the device tree blob file. You need the device tree blob file for the AmigaOne X5000. The X1000 doesn't need an extra dtb file.

tbreeden wrote: > It seems that there are 3 or 4 software update
utilities in the GUI. Which should be used? or
should it be done from the terminal?


The software update doesn't work anymore. Ubuntu has dropped the PowerPC architecture. We usually update the MATE PowerPC Remix manually.

tbreeden wrote: > I used kernel 4.9.32. Am I advised to replace
it with a newer one?


Yes, it is better to use the latest stable longterm kernel. We released the stable longterm kernel 4.9.33 two days ago. You could also use the latest stable kernel 4.11.5 if you like.

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 3005
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: New Linux user, almost

Postby tbreeden » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:44 am

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply.

xeno74 wrote:Hi Tom,

tbreeden wrote:A few glitches so far, I suspect mostly because I don't know
what to do with Linux.

> Using the "Users and Groups" Administration in the GUI I
can add a new user, and make it pretty identical to the
amigaone user. However, I could not log in as that user
even after multiple careful tries with the password I
had assigned, and multiple repeats of the whole new user
process.


Mmmmhh, I added a new user without any problems yesterday.

Christian


:idea: Oops. (I need an "embarrassed" icon here) I got it straightened
out now.

The problem came from my adding a new user and assigning his
password (successfully).

Then only later, noticing my hardware keyboard layout did not match
my Linux keyboard layout, so changed to a correct one.

Of course :!: , I had used a symbol in the new user's pw that was
mapped to a different place on the two layouts. :mrgreen:

Tom
User avatar
tbreeden
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:57 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA, USA

Re: New Linux user, almost

Postby xeno74 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:42 am

tbreeden wrote:Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply.

:idea: Oops. (I need an "embarrassed" icon here) I got it straightened
out now.

The problem came from my adding a new user and assigning his
password (successfully).

Then only later, noticing my hardware keyboard layout did not match
my Linux keyboard layout, so changed to a correct one.

Of course :!: , I had used a symbol in the new user's pw that was
mapped to a different place on the two layouts. :mrgreen:

Tom


Never mind! :-)
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 3005
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am


Return to Platform: AmigaOne X1000 - Linux Only

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron