X1000 RAM & Debian Squeeze Linux questions

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
AmigaDave

X1000 RAM & Debian Squeeze Linux questions

Post by AmigaDave »

When I ordered my X1000, I at first asked for only 2gb of RAM to be installed, as I knew that OS4.x currently does not support more RAM than that amount. After thinking about it a little more, I decided to change that option and ask for the maximum RAM offered with the "First Contact" X1000 systems, so I sent a message asking for my 2gb RAM to be upgraded to the 4gb option. It did not get processed and assembled with this later request, so I noticed that it was still getting shipped with only 2gb of RAM, so I contacted AmigaKit and asked them how I could get the 4gb upgrade included with my package, and they offered to add the extra 2gb of RAM into my keyboard box, because the X1000 box was already sealed and ready to go. Installing RAM is a snap, so that was fine with me. Chris added one 2gb simm to my keyboard box for me to install into my X1000 system. My concern is that my X1000 already has two 1gb simm's and I am wondering if I should have two more matched pairs of RAM to add to it, instead of adding one 2gb simm to use with the existing two 1gb simms and therefore have an unbalanced RAM configuration.

Is this a potential problem? Does having matched pairs of RAM simm's installed matter for this motherboard design? Does it matter to Debian Squeeze Linux, which is the only operating system that this computer can run that will see all 4gb of RAM installed? What is the maximum amount of RAM the X1000 motherboard design can accept for use when running Debian Squeeze Linux (or any other Linux distro that might be supported in the future)? Can four - 2gb simm's be installed for a total of 8gb of RAM? Can four - 4gb simm's be installed for a toatl of 16gb of RAM?

I just need to know from someone that is hardware savvy, if I need to return the two 1gb simms and ask for another matching 2gb simm, so the RAM sockets will be loaded with a matched pair of simms and leave the other two simm sockets empty for future expansion of more RAM?

I might have to direct this question to one of the hardware guys at Varisys to get the right answer.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
amigasociety

Re: X1000 RAM & Debian Squeeze Linux questions

Post by amigasociety »

The X1000 Manual on page 11 shows max memory to be 8GB.

It does mention on dimm placement but since you have 3, the guide is confusing to follow as it mentions if you have just 1, use any slot, but if you have 2, use both inner slots, does not say if you have 3.

My guess you use a 2gb in one of the inner slots and the 1GB in the opposite side inner slot and then for the 2nd 1gb module, put it next to the other 1gb module.

Then again logic says make both 1gb modules inner and whatever side you put the 2gb, no bigge what side.

But, will be nice to hear what the gurus have to say. 8-)

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

@amigasociety,

You got your X1000 with 4gb, didn't you? Is it two 2gb simms, or is it four 1gb simms installed in your X1000?

I think I will ask AmigaKit if I can exchange my two 1gb simms for another single 2gb simm, so I will have two matching 2gb simms in my X1000 and can add two more later, if I start running Debian Squeeze more and a Linux program that is very RAM hungry, I may want 8gb of RAM in it.

Edit: I mean dimm's, not simm's
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

AmigaDave wrote:@amigasociety,

You got your X1000 with 4gb, didn't you? Is it two 2gb simms, or is it four 1gb simms installed in your X1000?

I think I will ask AmigaKit if I can exchange my two 1gb simms for another single 2gb simm, so I will have two matching 2gb simms in my X1000 and can add two more later, if I start running Debian Squeeze more and a Linux program that is very RAM hungry, I may want 8gb of RAM in it.

Edit: I mean dimm's, not simm's
How did you know I was finishing off the Debian Squeeze install documentation? ;-)

Actually we have a number of Debian kernels that have been compiled. Some support >2Gb of Ram while others do not. I presume it must be a set up variable in the compliation script?? BTW I have 4Gb installed in my AmigaONE X1000. (2 x 2Gb). Apparently it is better to have two ram units rather than 1 for best performance. Hence if you have 2GB it is better to have 2 x 1Gb units rather than 1 x 2Gb unit.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

Hey Trevor, you scared me for a minute there. I thought I had spilled the beans again, but then looked back through my posts and didn't see anything about me writing about documentation, so if they got spilled, it wasn't me this time. :D

Getting older and taking lots of pain medication does not make for a good combination when it comes to remembering what you did yesterday, or what you had for breakfast (did I eat breakfast today?)

Thanks for the tips, I think you are right, having two memory dimms instead of one allows interleaved memory fetching (or something like that), which is faster than if you only have one memory dimm of equal size.

That means that for running AmigaOS4.1.5, it is better for me to keep the two 1gb dimms installed just like they are now. For running Linux that can recognize more than 2gb of RAM, it would be better for me to buy another 2gb dimm and use a total of 6gb of RAM. So I am going to order another 2gb dimm from AmigaKit next month, to make sure I get the same brand and speed as the first 2gb dimm they sent with my system. I will just keep them in a safe place until I have a Linux installation and software that needs more than 2gb of RAM.

That sounds like the best long term plan for me. Your mileage may vary.

Enjoying using my X1000 today, but still lots to learn.
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

AmigaDave wrote: I think I will ask AmigaKit if I can exchange my two 1gb simms for another single 2gb simm, so I will have two matching 2gb simms in my X1000 and can add two more later, if I start running Debian Squeeze more and a Linux program that is very RAM hungry, I may want 8gb of RAM in it.
Not a problem, just let us know.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

Christopher Follett wrote:
AmigaDave wrote: I think I will ask AmigaKit if I can exchange my two 1gb simms for another single 2gb simm, so I will have two matching 2gb simms in my X1000 and can add two more later, if I start running Debian Squeeze more and a Linux program that is very RAM hungry, I may want 8gb of RAM in it.
Not a problem, just let us know.
@Chris,

Since I read somewhere in the X1000 Quick Start Guide that using pairs of RAM enables interleaved RAM which is faster, I will keep what I have for running OS4.1.5 as fast as possible. Then next month, I will purchase another 2gb dimm from you (AmigaKit), so I can install the pair of 2gb dimms with the already installed 1gb dimms, for a total of 6gb of RAM. That should be enough for any Linux programs I am going to run in the near future (next 2 to 4 years).

Thanks for offering to exchange the 1gb dimms though. That is another example of good customer service.
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

Today I tested 4 pc 4GB memory sticks. I.e. 16GB total.
Strange thing, my X1000 succesfully boots only to AmigaOS ( which is unfortunately use 2GB only).
Linux (debian8, fienix, kernel 4.2, 4.20) reboots or freeze.

I made captures of serial debug and will inspect them later - but from first sight linux boots:
Booting Linux via __start() @ 0x0000000000000000 ...
and then restarts.
[HELO][DRAM]SDRAM: ECC off, Non-ECC DIMM used on channel 0.
SDRAM: ECC off, Non-ECC DIMM used on channel 1.
[RELO][L1CF][GOLO][GOT ][ZBSS][INIT][MAIN][KMEM][EXCP][CONS][CIOK][AREN][PCIH][P
CIB][PCIS][DEVI]
but first I have questions if someone experimented with max ram.:
- what is the Nemo memory limit? - Quick start guide tells 8GB, Nemo Tecnical reference manual says 16GB. Both are from december 2011.
- are there somebody who use 16GB?
- and if so, are there need of some special kernel or cfe parameter for memory mapping?
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Powerbook, Mac Mini (1.83 GHz), iMac, Powermac Quad

AmigaOS, MorphOS, linux, MacOS X
sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

Hi Xeno74,

here http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com ... 255#p47358 I saw, that you have 8GB RAM on your X1000.

Pls, does 4x2GB memory modules works out of the box in X1000?
Or do we need some linux kernel memory mapping, or do we have PCI card issues like on X5000 http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com ... =58&t=3827?
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Powerbook, Mac Mini (1.83 GHz), iMac, Powermac Quad

AmigaOS, MorphOS, linux, MacOS X
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

sailorMH wrote:Hi Xeno74,

here http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com ... 255#p47358 I saw, that you have 8GB RAM on your X1000.

Pls, does 4x2GB memory modules works out of the box in X1000?
Yes, 4x2GB DDR2 memory modules works out of the box. See screenshot:

sailorMH wrote: Or do we need some linux kernel memory mapping, or do we have PCI card issues like on X5000 http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com ... =58&t=3827?
No, you don't need any linux kernel memory mapping. There aren't any issues like with the X5000 in the past.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.