Need help with Debian Linux install - SUCCESS!!!

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
amigasociety

Need help with Debian Linux install - SUCCESS!!!

Post by amigasociety »

About 95% done installing Debian on my X1000.

A little stuck on this part of the install:

"Log in into the Debian Squeeze Desktop with your user password. After a short while your will be presented with the GNOME 3 Desktop. Assuming you are using the recommended vmlinux39NH kernel you will need to copy the additional modules, which are included with the kernel package, to the /lib/modules directory. This is done by entering the following copy command in a Root terminal:-
cp -r /media/USB/2.6.39.4X1000 /lib/modules where: USB is the device which contains the additional modules. (USB disk or CF card)"

My questions are:

I take it I need to login using my root and root password at some point but not sure where I do this. Do I remove my login name at the Debian window and type root and then type my root password after that or? A little more guidance on how to get into root at terminal would be nice. Or am I doing this in Terminal somehow?

I copied my modules to the same CF card in my X1000 that has the kernels. Therefore, I am confused on the use of USB or CF in the command above. Where it says USB above do I just change to the letters CF and that is it? Or is typing USB cryptic for you need to give our full path to USB or CF in this command and you need to know what that is?

A little help on the proper command to type would be helpful as for some reason just changing USB to CF I don't think would work.

Thanks

tj
Last edited by amigasociety on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Tuxxl

Re: Need help with Debian Linus install

Post by Tuxxl »

hello,

Don't you have use mount cli command to be able to use your usb key ?
a usb key is like a HD, you must to mount the usb key to your system.
command look like :
# mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/usb
after this, you will be abel to go in your directory and copy your modules to the good directory.
for this kind of command you must have enougth of rigth access.

Best regard. ;)

Tuxxl
Amiga 1200
AmigaONE X1000+8GbRam - First Contact edition -
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

amigasociety wrote:About 95% done installing Debian on my X1000.

A little stuck on this part of the install:

"Log in into the Debian Squeeze Desktop with your user password. After a short while your will be presented with the GNOME 3 Desktop. Assuming you are using the recommended vmlinux39NH kernel you will need to copy the additional modules, which are included with the kernel package, to the /lib/modules directory. This is done by entering the following copy command in a Root terminal:-
cp -r /media/USB/2.6.39.4X1000 /lib/modules where: USB is the device which contains the additional modules. (USB disk or CF card)"

My questions are:

I take it I need to login using my root and root password at some point but not sure where I do this. Do I remove my login name at the Debian window and type root and then type my root password after that or? A little more guidance on how to get into root at terminal would be nice. Or am I doing this in Terminal somehow?

I copied my modules to the same CF card in my X1000 that has the kernels. Therefore, I am confused on the use of USB or CF in the command above. Where it says USB above do I just change to the letters CF and that is it? Or is typing USB cryptic for you need to give our full path to USB or CF in this command and you need to know what that is?

A little help on the proper command to type would be helpful as for some reason just changing USB to CF I don't think would work.

Thanks

tj
Quick answer. You login Debian with you user name and password.

If you want to perform any operation which changes the system, debian will request your root name and password.

Eg when installing new software.

This also applies to performing operations from a terminal window. ( terminal window is similar to the Amiga shell) I usually open the Root terminal which requires your root name and password when you first open it. After that you do not need to enter them again (in that session).

As for copying the modules, the files need to be in a device which debian can read. Eg a USB disk. Placing them on the CF card will be no good as that is not accessible from the internal CF slot once debian has booted.

I will modify the manual to make this clearer.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
PatW
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by PatW »

Hi TJ

Try the following and see how you get on.

1. At the GDM login window login with your normal user account.

2. Insert your usb stick with the kernel modules folder.

3. Select Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal

4. Become root

Code: Select all

su
and enter root password

5. copy the modules to /lib/modules

cp -r /media/usb/2.6.39.4X1000 /lib/modules
6. Type

exit
to return to your user shell

7. Type

ls /lib/modules
you should now see

2.6.39.4X1000
if the modules were successfully copied.

8. Now you can close the terminal window and reboot :)

Let me know if you have any problems :)

Pat
YDL PowerStation / AmigaOne X1000 / IBM Intellistation POWER 285 / SAM 440EP / PS3 Debian
EFIKA Open Client / Mac Mini G4 / Amiga A1200 / Powerbook G4 15" / PowerMac G5 / Xserve G5
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Will try this.

Meanwhile, can someone tell me how I can "modify" or "delete" something I added by the setenv?

Example, I had a typo for Debian Squeeze for the LABEL name and want to adjust that and also had a typo for the MENU_2_COMMAND field I need to correct.

Thanks

tj

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

** I have left this question here and posted an EDIT down below in case someone else has this issue and can see what I did to make it work **

Yes PatW, that worked. Thanks.

Now I just need to figure out how to change my typos so the menu section works.

I will google to see if anyone on the net has an answer but meanwhile, if anyone here can tell me how to remove the setenv I did and or modify them, that would be great!

BTW Trevor, I think you have a typo in this command and that is why I need to make the change to one of my setenv.

This command on your manual:
MENU_2_COMMAND boot -elf -noints -fatfs CF0:vmlinux39NH

You need to make the CF lower case. When I have upper case, it fails to boot.

TJ

EDIT...... I figured out the changing of what was typed in SETENV. What happens is you type the correct LABEL or COMMAND and it changes it to the new one. If there is no change, it leaves it alone. If there is a change, it changes it. ;)

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Re: Need help with Debian Linux install

Post by amigasociety »

Another "possible" typo for Linux Manual.

In this statement you recommend we "right-click on the xserver-xorg-video-radeon package and select Mark for Upgrade." for handling the white cursor issue.

I show that one is already running on this basic install.

Did you mean to instead download the "xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd" ?

I see this HD version as something I can download and is the only other radeon one I see.

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

amigasociety wrote:Another "possible" typo for Linux Manual.

In this statement you recommend we "right-click on the xserver-xorg-video-radeon package and select Mark for Upgrade." for handling the white cursor issue.

I see this HD version as something I can download and is the only other radeon one I see.

TJ
Thanks for the CF0: typo info. I will correct this in the Guide when I get a chance.

I am travelling away from my system at the moment and cannot comment on your xorg-xserver-radeon question. Perhaps someone who has already installed Debian can comment on this?

BTW, I presume you have updated from the Debian backports as recommended in the guide? If so I think (as reported by a couple of others) this also updates the xserver-xorg drivers to the latest experimental version.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

amigasociety wrote:** I have left this question here and posted an EDIT down below in case someone else has this issue and can see what I did to make it work **

Yes PatW, that worked. Thanks.

Now I just need to figure out how to change my typos so the menu section works.

I will google to see if anyone on the net has an answer but meanwhile, if anyone here can tell me how to remove the setenv I did and or modify them, that would be great!

BTW Trevor, I think you have a typo in this command and that is why I need to make the change to one of my setenv.

This command on your manual:
MENU_2_COMMAND boot -elf -noints -fatfs CF0:vmlinux39NH

You need to make the CF lower case. When I have upper case, it fails to boot.

TJ

EDIT...... I figured out the changing of what was typed in SETENV. What happens is you type the correct LABEL or COMMAND and it changes it to the new one. If there is no change, it leaves it alone. If there is a change, it changes it. ;)
I do not have access to these at the moment but check the Nemo Reference board guide in the documents section.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
PatW
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by PatW »

trevordick wrote:
amigasociety wrote:Another "possible" typo for Linux Manual.

TJ
Thanks for the CF0: typo info. I will correct this in the Guide when I get a chance.

I am travelling away from my system at the moment and cannot comment on your xorg-xserver-radeon question. Perhaps someonr eho has already installed Debian can comment on this?

BTW, I presume you have updated from the Debian backports as recommended in the guide? If so I think (as reported by a couple of others) this also updates the xserver-xorg drivers to the latest experimental version.

Trevor
I can confirm xserver-xorg-video-radeon removed the white cursor for me.

After enabling backports I ran the following terminal command as root

apt-get -t squeeze-backports xserver-xorg-video-radeon
(I prefer apt over Synaptic ;) )

It installed the following packages

libdrm-nouveau1a
libgl1-mesa-dri
libxfont1
xserver-common
xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-input-evdev
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
xserver-xorg-input-wacom
xserver-xorg-video-all
xserver-xorg-video-ati
xserver-xorg-video-chips
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
xserver-xorg-video-mach64
xserver-xorg-video-mga
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
xserver-xorg-video-r128
xserver-xorg-video-radeon
xserver-xorg-video-s3
xserver-xorg-video-s3virge
xserver-xorg-video-savage
xserver-xorg-video-sis
xserver-xorg-video-sisusb
xserver-xorg-video-tdfx
xserver-xorg-video-trident
After logging out of Gnome and back in again the cursor was fixed.

Pat
YDL PowerStation / AmigaOne X1000 / IBM Intellistation POWER 285 / SAM 440EP / PS3 Debian
EFIKA Open Client / Mac Mini G4 / Amiga A1200 / Powerbook G4 15" / PowerMac G5 / Xserve G5