Overcome AHIs' limitations

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
HKvalhe

Overcome AHIs' limitations

Post by HKvalhe »

AHI has had the limitation of supporting only 16 bit audio for many years now, and not been able to use audio quality more than 16 bit, like 20, 24 and 32 bit from cards and onboard chips that support it. Neither does AHI have multichannel recording, but only playback.

Is it possible to bring AHI up to the level of supporting the audio technology of today? Also having 3D audio support, DTS and Dolby support in all variants?

I hope AHI can be updated and very much improved. Also, i hope AHI will be able to rely as less as possible on CPU.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
tommysammy

Re: Overcome AHIs' limitations

Post by tommysammy »

HKvalhe wrote:AHI has had the limitation of supporting only 16 bit audio for many years now, and not been able to use audio quality more than 16 bit, like 20, 24 and 32 bit from cards and onboard chips that support it. Neither does AHI have multichannel recording, but only playback.

Is it possible to bring AHI up to the level of supporting the audio technology of today? Also having 3D audio support, DTS and Dolby support in all variants?

I hope AHI can be updated and very much improved. Also, i hope AHI will be able to rely as less as possible on CPU.
I don`t understand it really. Our HDAudio driver for the X1000 have 32 Bit and 7.1 Channel. I see it in Ahi too
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

HKvalhe wrote:AHI has had the limitation of supporting only 16 bit audio for many years now, and not been able to use audio quality more than 16 bit, like 20, 24 and 32 bit from cards and onboard chips that support it.Neither does AHI have multichannel recording, but only playback.
AHI has supported 32 bit sample playback for more than six years.
It also samples in stereo at all times.
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

tommysammy wrote:
HKvalhe wrote:AHI has had the limitation of supporting only 16 bit audio for many years now, and not been able to use audio quality more than 16 bit, like 20, 24 and 32 bit from cards and onboard chips that support it. Neither does AHI have multichannel recording, but only playback.

I don`t understand it really. Our HDAudio driver for the X1000 have 32 Bit and 7.1 Channel. I see it in Ahi too
I might have misunderstood something. Then it's only for the drivers to support MORE than just 16 bit quality.

Lyle, i know you are right. It's just that the main AHI itself hasn't been updated for the past 6 years.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Lyle, i forgot to mention that the Envy24HT driver currently only supports 16 bit mode. I would hope that it would feature support for 24 bit as well.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

AHI limitations are being looked into. Locking thread.
ExecSG Team Lead