Rename file directly with Enter key

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
zzd10h

Rename file directly with Enter key

Post by zzd10h »

A little enhancement request :

To be able to rename file by simply hit Enter key (or Space key) without Requester when a file is selected on Workbench.
It willl avoid to have to open a Requester by ContextualMenu or Amiga-R keys shortcut.

Like on MacOSX, the file name could be highlighted and name could be modified directly in the Drawer window (without requester)

Just an idea...

Thank you.
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
samo79

Re: Rename file directly with Enter key

Post by samo79 »

Agree It should be very usefull :-)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I would rather see the Enter or Space key Open the file with the appropriate tool.

I prefer a separate requester and the RA/R shortcut. It makes it less easy to change the filename accidentally.
cheers
tony
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Yes, the Amiga method avoid you to rename the file accidentally, but for example if you need to rename many files (of the same folder) a requester for each single file will slow down the job imho

For example under Windows we can just hit the F2 key for highlighting the file and then just type the new filename (and eventually click "Enter") and you're all set.

1 - Press F2 (when you are above a file)
2 - Enter your new text

So it's a very quick method, and so on for the further files ..

Amiga method is of course similar (except the key "Amiga + R" instead of "F2") but while the requester is perfectly fine when you need to rename 1 or 2 files, it increase your job a lot if you need to rename 30 files !

Maybe just to make all happy an extra option for (optionally) suppress the requesters could be added, if so and like Windows a textarea when putting the text can be added just below the file you want modify --> aka to rename files directly on the Drawer window

it will be like:

1 - Press Amiga + R (when you are above a file)
2 - Enter your new text
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

I must say I agree with Tony - I prefer safe over fast.

But I also agree that renaming multiple files is cumbersome.

How about an enhancement suggestion to make the rename requester stay open when multiple files were selected for rename, so it just loads the next file's name, ready for changing and hitting enter - or escape - sort of like a typical search/replace requester in a text editor?

Either way, it's only really a problem on slower machines and very big screen modes with compositing on. At least here on my X1000 with 2560×1600×32/compositing, I almost can't see one requester close and the next open. But still, leaving the same requester open would probably cause a bit less flickering.

Best regards,

Niels
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Just my OSX experience, never had rename by error, because,

When you hit Return by mistake, the name is highlighted but not deleted.
Therefore a simple Return press key more and the file name is no more modifiable.

-> fast and safe. No possibility to rename by error.

But, yes, nbache, at least a way to easier and faster rename file would be great.
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

BTW, I just re-read the following:
samo79 wrote:Amiga method is of course similar (except the key "Amiga + R" instead of "F2") but while the requester is perfectly fine when you need to rename 1 or 2 files, it increase your job a lot if you need to rename 30 files !
This makes me wonder - are you aware that you can highlight all the files and choose rename, and then you get the rename requester for each file in succession? I.e. you don't need to choose rename/press Amiga+R for each file. (That's why I wrote above that it almost wouldn't give any benefit on faster machines.)

Just wanted to make sure you weren't missing a neat feaure ;-).

Best regards,

Niels
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I prefer the old way, Amiga+R does the job just fine, don't want AmigaOS to feels like Windoze or rotten apples etc. If you want to rename multiple files, there is DOpus or DirMeUp or what else.
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
samo79

Post by samo79 »

nbache wrote:Just wanted to make sure you weren't missing a neat feaure ;-)
Hehe sure i knew it, but having the possibility to rename files directly in the drawer window still imho the faster way to do the job, well maybe it's only a matter of habit but still ... :)

About "accidentally rename" this eventually can be avoided using a combo instead of using just a single key, but well even under Windows i found strange that one can press F2 for mistake ..
nbache wrote:I prefer the old way, Amiga+R does the job just fine, don't want AmigaOS to feels like Windoze or rotten apples etc. If you want to rename multiple files, there is DOpus or DirMeUp or what else.
But hey, i though that those programs were here only because the current Workbench is very poor !
Why should i "forced" to use another tool for a job that the Workbench should handle ? :roll:
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

samo79 wrote:
nbache wrote:I prefer the old way, Amiga+R does the job just fine, don't want AmigaOS to feels like Windoze or rotten apples etc. If you want to rename multiple files, there is DOpus or DirMeUp or what else.
Just for the record, that was not me you were quoting here (just to make sure I avoid the oncoming barrage of rotten apples feeling insulted by the comparison :-D).

Best regards,

Niels