Rename file directly with Enter key

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
samo79

Re: Rename file directly with Enter key

Post by samo79 »

OPS ! :o

;)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Niels is still excited at Denmark winning the Eurovision Song contest !

Congratulations, Niels !
cheers
tony
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

I like it the way it is now (RA-r, enter new name, hit Return) and rather wish Mac OS X used this method rather than clicking on the name and hope it somehow realizes I want to rename the file and not open it. It's one of the little ways OS4 still feels like Amiga to me.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

tonyw wrote:Niels is still excited at Denmark winning the Eurovision Song contest !

Congratulations, Niels !
Thanks! Not that I had anything to do with it, mind you. Well, except for being a lazy bum and not voting for any of the other songs.

But I do agree the best song won :-D.

Best regards,

Niels
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

I like it the way it is too, but nevertheless there is room for enhancement. I can't access any amiga right now, but if IIRK it is a little cumbersome if you accidentally rename let's say 30 files, or change your mind about renaming them. As I said I can't verify right now, but you need to hit the cancel button or ESCape (I think ESCape did not work at all) 30 times. It's a bit annoying, I'd like to press and hold the ESC-key to close all rename-windows in a row.

OT but same comes with RAWBInfo, sometimes, used to the shortcut on macos, I press RAmiga-Alt-I to open an Info dialog which shows a summary about all the selected files, of course this shortcut does not exists on AmigaOS and 20 RAWBInfo windows open instead, I have to click close every single one. Maybe this will get addresses if/when we get an enhanced/renewed Workbench.

OT 2 btw, it comes to mind: which is the proper way to confirm/exit from a stringfieldgadget with the keyboard? Let's say you want a new drawer and press RAmiga-N, you type in the name but you want to un-check the "create icon" checkbox, can't remember the keyboard shortcut to it, but if the string-field is still active, you can not access the box, if you press enter, the new-folder-window closes. So there seems to be no other way than to use the mouse. This behavior is common in many Requesters, IIRK RAWBInfo too and is annoying.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Amigo1 wrote:OT 2 btw, it comes to mind: which is the proper way to confirm/exit from a stringfieldgadget with the keyboard? Let's say you want a new drawer and press RAmiga-N, you type in the name but you want to un-check the "create icon" checkbox, can't remember the keyboard shortcut to it, but if the string-field is still active, you can not access the box, if you press enter, the new-folder-window closes. So there seems to be no other way than to use the mouse. This behavior is common in many Requesters, IIRK RAWBInfo too and is annoying.
Just use the TAB key when you are done in the name field, it will tab to the checkbox, and you can hit Space to uncheck it before tabbing on to the create button (or use its shortcut key).

Best regards,

Niels
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

nbache wrote:
Amigo1 wrote:OT 2 btw, it comes to mind: which is the proper way to confirm/exit from a stringfieldgadget with the keyboard? Let's say you want a new drawer and press RAmiga-N, you type in the name but you want to un-check the "create icon" checkbox, can't remember the keyboard shortcut to it, but if the string-field is still active, you can not access the box, if you press enter, the new-folder-window closes. So there seems to be no other way than to use the mouse. This behavior is common in many Requesters, IIRK RAWBInfo too and is annoying.
Just use the TAB key when you are done in the name field, it will tab to the checkbox, and you can hit Space to uncheck it before tabbing on to the create button (or use its shortcut key).

Best regards,

Niels
Oh, good to know! I thought I did press the TAB, but AFAIR it didn't work. Well, I'll try that when I'm home again. Thanks! :-)
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@all

So, anything come up from that discussion in end ? What kind of enhancement we should make ?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kas1e wrote:@all

So, anything come up from that discussion in end ? What kind of enhancement we should make ?
If anything at all, then maybe just one about making the requester stay open and just load the next name when multiple files were selected for rename.

Best regards,

Niels