New Workbench Windows with Navigation (Reaction based)

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
jaokim
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: New Workbench Windows with Navigation (Reaction based)

Post by jaokim »

I created a small arexx-script that copies files in Workbench using Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V. Perhaps it not exactly everything you exactly want. But, isn't that the beauty of AmigaOS: if something doesn't work exactly the way you want, there's a big possibility that you might solve it using ARexx.

I don't get why everyone needs every little feature to be part of the OS. With a few tweaks to Filer, I think it would cover the exact behavior seeked.

And I'm not dissing the ideas presented, I'm merely saying that it isn't neccessarily part of the OS.
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

@all again:

I don´t want to replace things, and i also don´t want to user for such a small Feature Software like filer or dopus because this are a step more than a Operatingsystem Needs. People who copy, Batch rename, decompress or much file operations do often Needs it (i use DOpus on WindowsPC for FTP etc...).

I onle want a Little Thing to get my files, which are stored now in more subdrawers or devices as 20 years before. So just functions for going back in hierarchy, write the path where i want to go and finaly and 100% wished for me... not open 100 Windows if i just want to go to a file.

Filer is very Close to this and i liked it. But the behavior of many funktions feels not like the workbench. It also has just a Listview (which is great), it has many bugs (try to sort the view with clicking the clumn titles...). I also can not doubleclick and open a Image file (tried to delete my config, does not work). Such a program should also not have the Option to open files with a Software i choose.. the OS brings all we Need, file handling, Icon handling, drag&drop. We have this since years, no Need to replace, just enhance in some points. In filer i also don´t understand the concept behind the "source and Destination" thing. Simple drag&drop would be ok. and again: A simple Checkbox in Workbench config could disable the function if it is right coded. And the behavior is as it is today (and since decades ;) )...

I also want to simplify things, an operating System should only provide Standard functions. But in the Kind of window/file handling, AmigaOS is just terrible. And simplifying things is not only with removing/not having functions it is also about the workflow. There should be a compromise -> simple and clean, but useful ;)
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

so basically... add a "Browser" style Toolbar to Workbench... and allow for "Back" as one of the buttons?

I remember scripting this as a feature of the OS3.9 Workbench so it may well be possible to trigger the same thing using Workbench 4+

Take a look at the ARexx documentation... with regards Workbench, Bind the "Backspace" key to "Open Parent" for the existing window and close the existing window... would that suffice as something you can use *now* ?

It may be something you can use while not exactly what you want?
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

We are all individuals, of course, but my own prefernece is for a new window to open when I open a drawer. But I do like the list by name feature and use that for many of my drawers, particularly those containing many "data" files such as text files, downloads, songs, etc. I also use the shell quite a bit and DOpus even more.

Going forward, enhancements are sure to be made to Workbench (I don't mind so much that these have been slow in coming, heh) but I hope that such things are available as a choice. That's the Amiga way.... let the user decide. Fundamentally, I want the experience to feel like I'm on an Amiga. Generally, I like the way things work and indeed do not desire start menus, docks, etc. copied from other operating systems. I'd like Workbench to be good ol' Workbench.
kicko

Post by kicko »

I like the idea on the first picture. Looks easy to navigate. Ofcourse other systems uses it and many looks on each other for good and easiness. Thats the way most stuff works, just check mobilephones. Im also more of a plain look and use dopus4 instead of magellan etc. But lately im more open and interested in more stuff added to workbench. Optional would be a nice thing. Just my thoughts as we go further for more modern system. the way mos and other goes is as they want to enhance/enrich the ambient/wanderer etc which is a good thing. However 3rd party tools can do alot too.

The same is for shell, our feels so 80/90s. The mos one looks more enchanced. I use kingcon on os4 and would be nice to see something updated and more modern.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

thomasrapp wrote:But don't remove the current behaviour.

The "view by name" mode may be turned into a file browser for all I care. It's completely useless currently anyway.
I very much like your suggestion. After all, IMHO the OS should come with a full featured and easy to use Filemanager, else if workbench is just to be a program launcher, it should suffice to only put AmiDock in Startup-Sequence.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

imagodespira wrote:The problem of the current text mode: The Settings are done in the workbench prefs (who the hell did it=????). So if i make a new theme i must overwrite the usersettings of workbenchprefs instead just the gui Settings.... ok really another thread (200 pulse here ;) ).
Mmmh.. at the moment to me and until someone comes up with a better logic it seems right they put them there. Of course it would be better if the Prefs format would allow to just change a part of the file, so you don't need to override many user settings. I think changing just some lines would be possible with the XML file format many have asked for?
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Yes this is one area that needs masses of attention. We need side panels to compliment Home Drawers (which are already in the pipeline), we need AISS toolbars to compliment keyboard shortcuts, we need side panels to access connected devices and network drives, we need to see image and document ( e.g. PDF ) icon previews, we need coloured labels or a way to meta-tag files. We need all these things today, not tomorrow, next month or even next year we need these yesterday!
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

So if I understand this correctly...

Theming where you have a global x.Iprefs with overriding XML would be what seems correct?

The primary issue I see is acceptable defaults that can be overridden by the intended Changes the theme would mandate?

Gnome on Linux uses a two XML file layout,

one file lists the options, and the other is the settings with safe defaults in the options list.

Would the split-layout arrangement with split defaults be acceptable here?

the other thing that comes to mind is search paths,
if the search path for an option is based from sys: but also allows for 1 or more options,
each system can use custom search pathing for where files are stored and just needs to have the same file materials present for selection relative to the search entries.

the combination of the above means it would be possible to have almost any filesystem layout and also common theme settings without making a complete mess by allowing only changed settings to modify the active prefs without mashing incidental settings.
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

djrikki wrote:Yes this is one area that needs masses of attention. We need side panels to compliment Home Drawers (which are already in the pipeline), we need AISS toolbars to compliment keyboard shortcuts, we need side panels to access connected devices and network drives, we need to see image and document ( e.g. PDF ) icon previews, we need coloured labels or a way to meta-tag files. We need all these things today, not tomorrow, next month or even next year we need these yesterday!

I've personally been using file comments for attribute tagging files