New Workbench Windows with Navigation (Reaction based)

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
zzd10h

Re: New Workbench Windows with Navigation (Reaction based)

Post by zzd10h »

TommySammy :
Is this new feature will shows the total path in the bottom of windows ?
Like I was hoping for in this feature request :

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =36&t=1758

Imagodespira :
Totally agree with you for more modern way of navigate in Workbench (and other thread about icons placement)
At least as option...
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
tommysammy

Post by tommysammy »

zzd10h wrote:TommySammy :
Is this new feature will shows the total path in the bottom of windows ?
Like I was hoping for in this feature request :

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =36&t=1758

Imagodespira :
Totally agree with you for more modern way of navigate in Workbench (and other thread about icons placement)
At least as option...
Yeap it shows me the complete path but don`t hope to much . This tool is not very stable and i don`t know if it will be stable in the future
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
jaokim
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by jaokim »

Isn't this behaviour exactly what Filer implements? You can find it on os4depot and even in the contribution drawer.
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

Filer is a start to replace the workbench, i want to enhance existing stuff ;)

Filer has (like all other i know) own handler for drag&drop (if it works), configurations for file open, much Buttons for file operations (which are not needed just for jumping/browsing/picking files etc.). We have a working System to open files with a defined tool out of the box in AmigaOS, Filer build ist own around. You must say it wich file type openes wicht tool XY... also the behavior of drag&drop, file copy and much more is much different than the Workbench does.

I don´t want replace existing good things, use it as it is (defIcons, copy routines, Icon informations, shortcuts (also different from OS Settings in filer) etc...). I just want to enhance the possibilities with a new Kind of WB Windows to jump into this centrury, where files / drawers are much more since years ago when People made the current Workbench behavior...
spotUP

Post by spotUP »

I like your skin a lot, where can i get it? I also like the way amidock looks,
And finally your filebrowser looks awesome!

I support your quest 100%
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

imagodespira wrote:Filer is a start to replace the workbench, i want to enhance existing stuff ;)

Filer has (like all other i know) own handler for drag&drop (if it works), configurations for file open, much Buttons for file operations (which are not needed just for jumping/browsing/picking files etc.). We have a working System to open files with a defined tool out of the box in AmigaOS, Filer build ist own around. You must say it wich file type openes wicht tool XY... also the behavior of drag&drop, file copy and much more is much different than the Workbench does.
Hello. I really support ANY enhancements over current AmigaOS default windows. They are all extremely limited and really needs updating. To be honest - Filer looks like the best option currently BUT it is not working :( Except Drag and Drop - none of Copy / Paste is working between Filer and Workbench windows. I am about something between Filer and your mockup.
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

@spotUp: I must finish the theme, then i upload it on amiboing.de (and amitheme.amiga-ng.org). I want to make some changes and also some Color schemes, different than the blue here.. First we must finish M.A.C.E, after this i have time for it ;) At the AmiDock side i only made it transparent and the backdrop of my WB has the Contents on bottom (the shadow line). I also will publish it next time.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

imagodespira wrote:Filer is a start to replace the workbench, i want to enhance existing stuff ;)
The idea of the filer project, being part of openamiga, is to provide code that might later be intergrated into the os, well that hasn't happened yet, but it's not a replacement for workbench in the way that DOpus5 is, it runs along side.
Filer has (like all other i know) own handler for drag&drop (if it works),
The API for initiating true workbench drag and drop is currently private to workbench so any app needing it hasto create it;'s own way.
configurations for file open,
It uses deficons actually, as the default, same as workbench. You can apply filer specific overides if you want. I have just one for html.
much Buttons for file operations (which are not needed just for jumping/browsing/picking files etc.).
Remove them then, it's 100% configurable.
We have a working System to open files with a defined tool out of the box in AmigaOS, Filer build ist own around.
As I said above, this is not true, it uses def icons.
You must say it wich file type openes wicht tool XY...
Did I mention that it uses deficons yet?
also the behavior of drag&drop, file copy and much more is much different than the Workbench does.
It will work the same as workbench if you configure it that way. I personally have it configured to copy on drag rather tan move, as I don't like that aspect of workbench, but the default is to behave like workbench IIRC.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

djnykk wrote:

Hello. I really support ANY enhancements over current AmigaOS default windows. They are all extremely limited and really needs updating. To be honest - Filer looks like the best option currently BUT it is not working :( Except Drag and Drop - none of Copy / Paste is working between Filer and Workbench windows. I am about something between Filer and your mockup.
It works pretty well for me, but to get the best of it you need to work between filer windows not between filer and workbench workbench windows. Copy & paste doesn't exist in workbench, therefore filer can't really work that way with being abit hacky. Personally I think the copy & paste paradign is unsuited for file management, but people get used to using it in Windows. Why is it a bad paradigm? Because you can't see what files are in your clipboard, and so it's very easy to lose track, copy stuff to the wrong place etc.
amigaguru
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by amigaguru »

I like all your guys suggestions but i think there is one more crucial thing we need before this and that is an actual workbench update.

i use dopus daily and has the last 25? years now and there is a reason for that, simple as that.
Finder is nice but it's so "beta", i wish origin would take up the project again.