New Workbench Windows with Navigation (Reaction based)

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

New Workbench Windows with Navigation (Reaction based)

Post by imagodespira »

One of my biggest problem if i work with AmigaOS is browsing in files. Opening a new Window for each Folder should be removed and a solution to go up/down in a hierachy within a window must be a new standard.
Today we have much more Folders and subfolders than 10 years before.

I the AmigaOS should only give a simple solution without 1000 functions, for this we have Software like DirOpus. Just a good browsing in the structure would be nice.

Why Reaction: we can build Layouts and add/remove Contents. So we could do a config for each preference so we also could remove it to the current state (or just hide some of the new "toolbars").
I also do much in making Themes for AmigaOS and it is not easy to handle because every prefs (text view, amidock, ringhio, contextmenu etc..) has its own Setting for visual style (this is a new thread ;) )... but in this case the text view must be replaced with a reaction Gadget, listbrowser Gadget can all we need. The problem of the current text mode: The Settings are done in the workbench prefs (who the hell did it=????). So if i make a new theme i must overwrite the usersettings of workbenchprefs instead just the gui Settings.... ok really another thread (200 pulse here ;) ).

Here a sample Image how i would implement it (click for full Resolution)

I would prefer a Navigation bar on top of the window:
left -> go back or forward, drawer up (sense: where can i go)
middle -> path (sense: where i am, write where i want to go)
right -> visibility things -> show places, show Icons/text (sense: how it Looks -> just some (max 2) of often used things -> less is more ;) )

Right Bar, Places???:
A Place where we can Switch between devices, assigns, Bookmarks/links (sense: Switch fast to a place where you want to go)
thomasrapp

Re: New Workbench Windows with Navigation (Reaction based)

Post by thomasrapp »

must be a new standard.
No!
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

@Thomas: Why not ;)?

We all do not have just only one folder in a harddrive like years ago in OS1.3, so a way to find, to go to saved files is very necessary for a mordern OS (no other OS around the world has a one window = one folder system in these days).

Reaction also would give you the choice with simple removing and adding layout parts, also for the old behavior...

(some people just prever MOS because they can do this ;) )
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

There are some features which distinct Workbench from other operating systems. Having one drawer = one window is one of them.

If you want a file browser, they may add one. Or add an option to turn WB windows into file browsers. But don't remove the current behaviour.

The "view by name" mode may be turned into a file browser for all I care. It's completely useless currently anyway.

AROS uses this "open new drawer in current window" and I really hate it. It happens so often that Wanderer thows me back to the desktop just because I accidentally close the window instead of using the "back" button. A double click on an icon should open a window.

If you want to have folders, use Windows. We have drawers.
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

Sorry, but this can`t be the future. Times have changed and the amount of data on each hard drive. I also would have the option to turn it on or of, no problem. But i think most people want such a window with all drawers instead of having 1000 opened just to go to one file.

It could and should be an option to go back to the current behavior.

I use AmigaOS every day while working on our games, for me it is the main platform to build levels in xml etc. and here i need access to much folders and jump around... so or so, AmigaOS is the last OS with this relique from years bevore and it is time to go forward (and this is also possible without changing all old/good things).
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

imagodespira wrote: (some people just prever MOS because they can do this ;) )
These types of individuals are called computer users, they believe a computer is a tool and they also believe one or two features (individually assessed, wanted and justifed by themselves) is worth there loyalty. I wouldn't want them fighting on my squad and watching my back.

Thomas probably just doesn't like windows and you know, I just can't blame him there 8-)

Tell you what though, try the following:

Open a shell and type dir opt a >ram:layout.txt

examine the file in ram and discover your requested expandability ;)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

imagodespira wrote:Sorry, but this can`t be the future.

So you say the future is to copy other operating systems and as a consequence to make all operating systems equal? Then why do we still need different ones? Microsoft does a great job dictating users how to organise their work. Is this really worth to be copied?

Opening drawer windows by double click is an identifying feature of Workbench.

I don't say that a file browser is a bad thing. I often wish to have one, too. Just make it an additional function, not a replacement.

Workbench as it is now is an alternative way to run programs. The Amiga way to run programs. Like a start menu which keeps sub-menus opened. It's not meant (as I see it) as a file system explorer. Workbench is not like Windows Explorer. Adding the "show by name" feature in WB 2.x was not a good idea IMHO. It's not thought to the end and it is not implemented in an intuitive way. It never was useful. This should be removed completely and replaced by your file browser.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Exactly Thomas

The AmigaOS concept is to build on what already makes it grand not redefine it by merging it with other OSs. Why anyone wants OSs to behave the same is beyond me.

People add a feature and call it progress instead of refining the strengths and holding true to the OSs indentity and individuality, we really do have something wonderful with AmigaOS and something worth protecting.

I don't want to sound like I'm over-reacting but it doesn't hurt to get a little passionate from time to time

Lets hold true to what we know we love and not forget why we are all still here
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
eliyahu
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by eliyahu »

@imagodespira

yes, yes, a thousand times yes!! i would love for a 'browser' option in workbench alongside the current icon and lister views. your screenshot looks magnificent.

@others

i don't agree the browser metaphor should be the only option. but it should be an option.

-- eliyahu
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

@slayer: Also the concept of Windows was in times where 3.1 was new similar but has changed over the years. Also AmigaOS must have some improvements, it is a fact that the amount of data on the harddrives is much more today and the work we do on our Computers hase changed a Little bit, also on AmigaOS Computers.

My idea should be an Option (in my opinion the Standard Option), but with doing it with a reaction based window it is not very difficoult to bring different behaviors for every user... old style and new style.

The screenshots are based on GUI prototypes i test with reaction, all things are possible... we only Need some enhhancements like a good grid view, cached Images for Bitmaps (most of us have a digicam, how do you find photos... remembering the names ?????).

In Workbench Prefs should be an Option to disable the browing in a window, no Problem... but for many People who want to work with AmigaOS it would be a big improvement (Other AmigaLike OS Users smile about the lack of this function... for me it is a killer Feature which is missing).