New Workbench Windows with Navigation (Reaction based)

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
tommysammy

Re: New Workbench Windows with Navigation (Reaction based)

Post by tommysammy »

@imagodespira I'm with you and support you. I`m missing it too. I will write tomorrow some line about this theme
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

thomasrapp wrote:There are some features which distinct Workbench from other operating systems. Having one drawer = one window is one of them.

If you want a file browser, they may add one. Or add an option to turn WB windows into file browsers. But don't remove the current behaviour.

The "view by name" mode may be turned into a file browser for all I care. It's completely useless currently anyway.

AROS uses this "open new drawer in current window" and I really hate it. It happens so often that Wanderer thows me back to the desktop just because I accidentally close the window instead of using the "back" button. A double click on an icon should open a window.

If you want to have folders, use Windows. We have drawers.
+1, thanks Thomas.
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

Some people prefer the browser mode, other's don't. It should be an option - not the standard. And, btw, you can configure Ambient to behave like Workbench and switch off the browser mode. Have you ever used Hyperbench? It is slowly approaching a WB replacement.
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
mr2

Post by mr2 »

I do not consider OPTIONAL broser view as something bad. Totally agree with imagodespira. BTW, fantastic mockup and very nice theme ;-) Is it AmigaAMP with some kind of minimalistic skin?
SAM440 Flex 800MHz 1GB R9250 SBLive! OS4.1 Update 6
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

So an "Option" for "Browsing" the FileSystem instead of the existing "Spatial" arrangement ?

Go support the DOpus5 portation effort of Kas1e and company... THAT has what you want and then some...

Workbench is a basic "View" of the computer as a desktop and not File Management so much,

as for the "View by name"... I use this in some areas specifically when I have "Show All Files" enabled as well...

I find Workbench is very comfortable with both mannerisms and would not simply clone the "browser the filesystem" style as a default.

(You *CAN* do a FileBrowser style if you don't mind scripting it and using your own toolbar setup...)

I would keep workbench as it is... and you can opt for an *alternative* Graphical Shell...

The same logic you are giving is why there is LXDE/Gnome/KDE/Fluxbox/WindowMaker/Enlightenment(DR16+DR17) along with other Window Managers on Linux as well as the "Windows Explorer"/"LiteStep" and other Windows "Shell"s

no need to radically change Workbench for this... use an alternative Shell at startup...

I know of at least one person who is addicted to throwing anything graphical in the garbage (He would find the Amiga just flat out weird being graphical at boot)

Vote with your feet... choose a shell... there ARE existing options for this ... go grab one!

P.S. I was also crazy enough to use python as "init" on a Linux setup of my own... just for trying it... and it worked quite happy for me.
tommysammy

Post by tommysammy »

I find the idea from imagodespira great but not as standard component . It would be better as commoditie, so every user can choose his own style. Some users like it and some other not. I think it is a 50/50 relationship.
Please add it as commoditie. I find it a good step forward.
As you can see is there already a tool for browsing through the window. It is beta and not for the public.
You can see a backward button, it is very helpful.
The big problem of our Amiga window system is, you click on a drawer and a next window appears,then you click again on a drawer and again a window appears. If you are deep in the directory the workbench is full of windows. That is illogically.
We have in Prefs/Workbench settings an option that we can close the parent window automatically.
So i am again deep in the directory and have choose the wrong path and want go back. There is no opportunity to go back.I have to start again from scratch.
The button on the screenshot solve my problem, i can go back and browse through the windows.The functionality here is not restricted, i must click on drawer to open the next window and can go back with this backward button.
Attachments
tommy.jpeg
(218.55 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

Go support the DOpus5 portation effort of Kas1e and company... THAT has what you want and then some...
DOpus is no Option for me. It is a step more i want to make. I don´t want to replace the Workbench and ist behavior, i want to enhance it. Just with the possibility to jump around in drawers...

It is in the minimal case an adjustment of one line under the titlebar of a window (Bookmarks on left side are good, but just an enhancement of an enhancement ;), look at the right window in my screenshot, a minimal improvement).

And yes you are right if you say that the workbench is a Basic view, but in this state it is not enough. It was enough if it was made in WB 1.x, in this time we put a disk into the drive, and go most only just one/two drawers deep.

But time has changed. Most of us have Music drawer, there artists, Albums ... Musics... or photos... Family, maybe subdrawers with the one or the other child, date drawers ... and the Images.

To go in this subfolders you Need to open many Windows, ok you can press a key to Close it if opens a new window, but what if you want to go one step back? You must open the Windows again.

@DirOpus: We can use it to make enhanced file operations, thats ok. It has 100 things but for the workbench we only need a idea to go to the files we need, in times where we have much more files and drawers 20 years ago, a better find and view of the workbench Windows.
Scriptjester
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Scriptjester »

There is an option in Prefs/Workbench called 'close parent drawer' : and you will have just one drawer on the workbench.

If you then want to 'go up', you can :
- use the workbench menu to open parent drawer
- click on the window close gadget and press the ctrl key in the same time if I remember well
- or use this small Arexx script with Fkey : http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?funct ... t/cdop.lha (I use this all the time)
tommysammy

Post by tommysammy »

Scriptjester wrote:There is an option in Prefs/Workbench called 'close parent drawer' : and you will have just one drawer on the workbench.

If you then want to 'go up', you can :
- use the workbench menu to open parent drawer
- click on the window close gadget and press the ctrl key in the same time if I remember well
- or use this small Arexx script with Fkey : http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?funct ... t/cdop.lha (I use this all the time)
But then you have again a few windows open and it is not so easy to use like my solution
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

Yes i know it, but what do you do if you are in a sub drawer:

-> work: photos / family / birthday and then you want to go fast to the family folder back? You must open again 3 new windows for it.

-> the case of opened windows: you have in this place 4 windows open, maybe some programs like browser, email, image viewer (normal cases today that we not have just one program open) -> we have many windows opened 4 of it have something in comon (just to go to this one folder).

Again: The idea to make a browsing thing should not replace all current functions, it should enhance it. And it can be disabled/enabled with just a single checkbox in workbench prefs.

@diropus again: most of the replacements replace the things we know, copy behavior, rename, icon information/editing etc. I dont mean a whole replacement. Most of this replacements also use own routines for file handling/opening instead of using this we have (deficons etc...). This should be not the goal of an enhancement. Thats why i dont prefer a "big" software like DirOpus Magellan for daily use.

But find/start/browse/view in drawers better than now is very important for me, i work daily with the AmigaOS System for our work on our games. I Use often the function by pressing rAmiga+drawerclick to close the window where i come, but what if i must go there again... i must start from the beginning. If i dont close it, i have 100 windows, not very productive if i must have opened my software i need. The focus for me is to have a workbench which works decent and assists me by working with the software i need (difficult to explain in english ;) ...)

Attached an image in my minimal/normal case i work this week. Here without the OWB and Email Programm i have opened every time... In this case i jump between the graphics drawers (subdrawers like particle, enemy etcl. within). I also switch between the drawers for the levels (15 folders, around 5 xml files in it). On device side we have a drawer "devShare", the coder puts newest files in it (sync with our NAS), i put new xml level files and gfx in it.
Attachments
wb.jpg
(293 KiB) Downloaded 498 times