Grid Layout for Icon/image view

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Grid Layout for Icon/image view

Post by imagodespira »

I would like to have a grid layout System for Icon and Image view. The current System has not really a good view, it is based on the Name of the file. The file Name should be shorter (20-30 letters then ...). Then put the layout in a fixed height and width.

We also need a Image preview for Bitmap files. I am a visual guy and need it to work (for our games i need this view to get the Image i want ;) ).

Currently i use "eastern", available on os4depot. This works very well and the Caching is great, we need it!
The only Problems are that the layout is not good after loading the preview Images i rebuild the view (rAmiga + 9) to get a better view, the second problem: it is not Standard in AmigaOS ;)

A combination with a eastern style Software and a good grid layout (and the Navigation stuff, see my other thread) would push AmigaOS a big step ahead).

What do you think?

(sorry for my english, hope you understand ;) )
eliyahu
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Grid Layout for Icon/image view

Post by eliyahu »

imagodespira wrote:I would like to have a grid layout System for Icon and Image view. The current System has not really a good view, it is based on the Name of the file. The file Name should be shorter (20-30 letters then ...). Then put the layout in a fixed height and width.

We also need a Image preview for Bitmap files. I am a visual guy and need it to work (for our games i need this view to get the Image i want ;) ).

Currently i use "eastern", available on os4depot. This works very well and the Caching is great, we need it!
The only Problems are that the layout is not good after loading the preview Images i rebuild the view (rAmiga + 9) to get a better view, the second problem: it is not Standard in AmigaOS ;)

A combination with a eastern style Software and a good grid layout (and the Navigation stuff, see my other thread) would push AmigaOS a big step ahead).
agree on all points. the icon spacing in workbench drives me nuts. i would really like an option for icons to 'snap to grid' as was possible on the classic mac os. and yes, image previews would also be nice to see integrated into workbench.

-- eliyahu
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

I still like arrangeing my icons "manually". So I wouldn't like a only grid driven layout. But it maybe as an option (like "list by name, ..."). Picture preview is nice to, but might only be an option for the systems with enough horse power...
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
mr2

Post by mr2 »

@all
...also need a Image preview for Bitmap files. I am a visual guy and need it to work (for our games i need this view to get the Image i want ;) ).

Did you forget that thumbnail preview was introduced in one of the updates and withdrawed later? Probably will appear in 4.2, again ;-)
SAM440 Flex 800MHz 1GB R9250 SBLive! OS4.1 Update 6
spotUP

Post by spotUP »

Yes, agree on all points.
BandiT
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by BandiT »

A big "YES" from me also.
AmigaOne X1000, Boing Ball Fractal R3 white case, XFX Radeon 4890 XXX edition 1 GB, OCZ Vertex 3 SSD & 1TB Sata HD, AmigaOne Keyboard and
Boing Ball mouse (white), 4 GB Kingston HyperX RAM, Official DVD burner. CoolerMaster GX750, Realtek 8169 (Netgear GA311), BenQ 24" Widescreen.
tommysammy

Post by tommysammy »

I wish for images that we get a thumbnail function inside the icons. The icon scale the picture automatically in a 64x64 icon
I created an example,look at the screenshot.
For movies i wish me, when i click on the movie icons from a movie, that the icons shows me a short clipping from the movie
Attachments
tommy.jpeg
(198.63 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

@Tommysammy: Yes, with the grid view (Auto Arrangement) i would have it too ;)

Look in OS4Depot and search "eastern", this solves a lot of Problems (till we have it included in OS ;) ).
eastern makes a thumbnail Cache so that the second time the Icon/Image is very fast... You also can write me an email, then i can send you my config (was not easy all to test.. now i use it daily).