UrlOpen needs Arexx Support

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: UrlOpen needs Arexx Support

Post by ChrisH »

chris wrote:I don't really see the problem with adding ARexx support - it's just a matter of sending commands to ARexx ports, and that's exactly the same as how Python communicates with ARexx-capable programs. The 68k parts of ARexx are AFAIK to do with the interpreter - sending ARexx commands between programs doesn't need to touch that.
From my POV, the problem with adding ARexx support to UrlOpen is nothing to do with ARexx itself, but rather that it would make configuring UrlOpen to be far too complex for normal users to do without detailed guidance. I've written that guidance for OpenUrl, and it's not pretty. OTOH, if the user only needs to configure UrlOpen with a single command, and the command auto-magically handles any ARexx magic, then AmigaOS4 can maybe claim to be a bit easier & more elegant than the alternatives :-)
Also note it's not only web browsers - launch-handler supports mailto: and can be extended to add ftp: and all sorts of other links. OpenURL also supports mailto and ftp links so it's likely software already has the necessary ARexx commands.
Email programs could just as easily use the same method to handle mailto: from the command-line. i.e. If it was already running then it sends the appropriate ARexx message. So UrlOpen only needs to identify that a mailto: should be sent to an Email program rather than a web browser. (I can't check if it already does that or not, but it wouldn't be rocket science...)