Tray icons in Workbench menu

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
djrikki

Tray icons in Workbench menu

Post by djrikki »

Hello,

I believe they are called Tray icons, how about giving the opportunity for developers to add a Tray icon into the Workbench menu itself on the right-hand side to the left of the 'switch screen if possible' icon?

Here are some obvious ones which could come as standard for a future AmigaOS.

Laptop Battery life with access to associated preferences tool
Wifi Strength/Ethernet status with access to associated preferences tool
Bluetooth
Global Volume (thinking Mixer here)
'Power Icon' (I am running Ubuntu as I type this) so stuff like 'About this Computer' (Ranger), System Settings (Opens Preferences drawer), Restart, Shutdown etc...

And finally... its darn obvious, but how about showing the Date/Time in here as well?

Just my two cents there.
mason
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Tray icons in Workbench menu

Post by mason »

Imho you can allready do this with AmiDock:

- create a new dock with no background and no frames
- limit the icon size of this dock to 24x24 px
- move the dock to a position in the screen bar
- add your tools and dockies to the new dock

The real problem is that most dockies don't care about the max/min size of the dock.
Regards, Mason
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

@Mason

yes you are right I'll probably try to look what I can in my own X1kTemp.docky.
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Petrol »

As an exemple, there is a commodity named titlebarclock from Tuomas Hokka, that insert a simple clock to the title bar, but the archive contain also 3 similar commodities that insert : ram status, eject button and tune infos! Maybe it could be use/improve to add other things to the titlebar.

Regards,
Xavier.
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Hi Mason,

Maybe this is possible, but I personally want to see AmigaOS move away from 'tinkering' solutions to things that are supported as-standard from the ground-up - as I can imagine a lot of 'us' do.

PS. Mason, you have me thinking of a new feature request.
chris

Post by chris »

AmiDock and Application dockies are the equivalent of the system tray and notification icons in other OSseseses.

If the WB screen titlebar could register itself as a tiny default location for application dockies that would be great though!
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

djrikki wrote:I personally want to see AmigaOS move away from 'tinkering' solutions to things that are supported as-standard from the ground-up
No offense meant, but you did come from a Mac background, didn't you (I may be mis-remembering, sorrry if that's the case).

Macs have always been great at serving up all their features ready for consumption by users who prefer not to "tinker", but just get on with their work or play (and recent generations of Windows have tried, and often failed miserably, to go in the same direction; where Macs start up having activated the features you need, Windows start up needing lots of configuration - if possible at all - to get rid of the wrong choices and set the right ones - broadly speaking, of course ;-)). Amigas/AmigaOS has always been great at making fewer assumptions, but giving users the options and tools they need to be creative and make things how they want them for their specific tastes and purposes.

I bet if we took a count of hands, most Amiga users really enjoy tinkering and creating their very own solutions to suit exactly their specific needs. I know I do.

So a question we might want to ask ourselves now is: Do we want to change the AmigaOS "feel" more in the Mac direction e.g. in order to hope for more new users from that camp, and in the process make a lot of decisions about how we think Amigans want things to look/work/feel, or do we prefer to perfect the "Amiga Experience" on its own terms, with full tinkering factor?

In practice, there are of course many more nuances netween the two extremes, but I think it is useful to consider the general course.

Best regards,

Niels
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Yip, put me down as Tinkerer, I believe for me it's also right up there with Hoarder! ;)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

I myself like the "thinkerers way" too. And I would like AmigaOS to let me do that, but I also think new users would be happy with a more "ready to go" setup.

Maybe putting a clock/date docky on a fresh AmigaOS install will be doing the trick.

An idea which shot through my mind right now, would be to have the possibility to have different "look-and-fell theme settings" including the AmiDock settings for example. So we can a preset clock on the menu tray for example.

:-)