Standard Drawer Structure for Files

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
djrikki

Standard Drawer Structure for Files

Post by djrikki »

Hello,

Every other OS now has Standard Drawers for End-Users to save their common media files, e.g. Documents, Downloads, Applications (sure not as essential), Music and Videos and excuse my french, but its about bloody time AmigaOS did the same for the sake of not only End-Users, but developers alike!

Push4Dock on OS4Depot, if you ignore the Dock tool itself, includes a great example of how the structure could be laid out.

Just imagine Sketchbloch, user goes to Save an Image, Sketchblock runs for the first time and suggests the 'Image Drawer' - it knows where the path lies because its in a standard location, AmigaAmp/TuneNet/<insert your favourite music player here> brings up a requester at a starting point of 'Music Drawer' - again it knows where the path lies because its in a standard location. Timberwolf defaults to 'Downloads Drawer - it knows where the path lies because its in a standard location, in a future LibreOffice release, the user decides to save that Spreadsheet or Document a request appears suggesting a 'Document Drawer' - again it knows where the path lies because its in a standard location - etc.... etc... I think you get the point I am trying to make here. Standards.

These Common Drawers could potentially be tracked in similar fashion to the 'AppDir' mechanism, they should be forced upon on the computer and non-negotiated and any attempt to delete 'Common Drawers' should also be frown up or simply made Undeleteable. Easier said than done am sure.

Standards are the absolute way forward even if many in the community think otherwise.
chris

Re: Standard Drawer Structure for Files

Post by chris »

Ugh, no. Personally I always ignore those standard drawers and just save everything in a free-for-all (or appropriately-named drawers of my own construction) in my home directory.

On AmigaOS my home directory is actually a data partition called Files:

I wouldn't be adverse to a standard home directory (MOVEABLE) which becomes the default place for ASL to look in, but I find the default structure underneath annoying and somewhat patronising.
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

I would like to have "bookmarks/Links" which are to find easy and could be added or removed from the user. If i work in Windows on a bigger project, i put a bookmark of the needed folders to the left list and remove it if i have finished the project. This would be nice for AmigaOS too (DirMe Up have this feature, would have it standard in a AmigaOS Window)
marko

Post by marko »

I'm not against one (movable) default drawer like Home, but I'm not that sure about a whole directory structure.

I always avoid these pre-made dirs like Documents, Downloads, Music, Videos on Windows because these are put up in the "wrong place" or are duplicated. I already have these set up on my own place (it's Work on its own HD). And I don't like possible interference by OS if/when making an OS-update for example. :)

Maybe have an assign Home to some standard place, in the Startup-Sequence as default?
AmigaOS 4.1 FE on Sam440ep-flex @ 800MHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250
Still waiting (or dreaming) for The Amiga revolution...
m4rko.com/AMIGA
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

We already discussed this ages ago amongst the development team. The concept of a "Home" is planned to be added at some point.
ExecSG Team Lead
marko

Post by marko »

@ssolie
ssolie wrote:We already discussed this ages ago amongst the development team. The concept of a "Home" is planned to be added at some point.
Oky, sounds good :)
AmigaOS 4.1 FE on Sam440ep-flex @ 800MHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250
Still waiting (or dreaming) for The Amiga revolution...
m4rko.com/AMIGA