Iconified Apps area

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
Amigo1

Iconified Apps area

Post by Amigo1 »

Following the New AmigaAmp 3.8 thread on Amigans.net, I'd like to mention it would be nice to have the possibility to set an area on the workbench screen where the icons of iconified apps/tools/windows appear. This could be set in Workbench-Prefs. Placing them on AmiDock could be a possibility too, but maybe this would be copying too much from other systems? :-)
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Iconified Apps area

Post by imagodespira »

... Also AmiDock is a little bit copied from another system ;) So why not include it there? Some Software use it already (AMiUpdate, MUI Software). I would like to have an option in Workbench Prefs to set it by default.

I also would prefer an option to highight an icon in Amidock if a Application is in the Amidock instead of making a new icon (... ok this would be a copy, but a useful ;) ).
chris

Post by chris »

Amigo1 wrote:Following the New AmigaAmp 3.8 thread on Amigans.net, I'd like to mention it would be nice to have the possibility to set an area on the workbench screen where the icons of iconified apps/tools/windows appear. This could be set in Workbench-Prefs. Placing them on AmiDock could be a possibility too, but maybe this would be copying too much from other systems? :-)
That would break the snapshotting/icon positioning features, unless you are proposing only "unsnapshotted" AppIcons appear in the dedicated area. A common bug with Amiga software is to pass some random icon (often the program icon) to the functions for icon creation on iconification - or even just for file drop AppIcons - in their entirety, without blanking out (or - better - using the user's preference) the positional co-ordinates where the icon appears.

The result is that the AppIcon appears at some random point along one of the top rows of the screen, corresponding to the position it occupied when it was a program icon sitting in a drawer.

The solution is either to unsnapshot the program icon (making both program and AppIcon occupy the first available space, which may not be desirable), snapshot the program icon somewhere you can't see it in the program drawer (again, not particulary great in most circumstances) or complain to the maintainer of the application and ask them to fix it. I suggest you go for the latter.
dan.hutch

Post by dan.hutch »

Would be a welcome feature. Maybe default behaviour to iconify apps to the right of the screen, while drives remain at the left? Could be configured through Workbench Prefs as others have suggested.

An 'iconify to amidock' option (as already exists for MUI apps) would be great.

Would also be handy to be able to iconify drawer windows.
Last edited by dan.hutch on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

dan.hutch wrote:Would also be handy to be able to iconify drawer windows.
How would this be different from just closing the drawer window, leaving you with the drawer icon?

Best regards,

Niels
dan.hutch

Post by dan.hutch »

nbache wrote:
dan.hutch wrote:Would also be handy to be able to iconify drawer windows.
How would this be different from just closing the drawer window, leaving you with the drawer icon?

Best regards,

Niels
My thinking was that sometimes when working with certain drawers on and off through a session I don't want to keep the parents open as well. Although on second thoughts I guess this is what 'leave out' is for or they can be added to AmiDock as I do already.

Ok, maybe not such a great idea afterall. ;-)