NotePad Reload option

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
Amigo1

Re: NotePad Reload option

Post by Amigo1 »

trixie wrote:@amigo1
Amigo1 wrote: Recently I read in some other thread the keyboard shortcuts are the same for all locale settings. A really helpful chnage. Thanks a lot the the devs for this change!
Was there a change? I always thought that menu command keys (keyboard shortcuts) were not supposed to be localized.
Yes, there was a change. I cannot verify it for the next few weeks, but it used to be that shortcuts were localized, at least until OS4.0 but maybe the plain 4.1u1 behaved like that too..
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

trixie wrote:@chris

It is such a pity that the Intuition menu system doesn't support SHIFT-based command keys! We could then implement handy "paired" shortcuts for operations that have something in common, instead of wasting valuable key mnemonics we could use for other operations:

RAmiga-S for "Save"
Shift-RAmiga-S for "Save As"

RAmiga-Z for "Undo"
Shift-RAmiga-Z for "Redo"

RAmiga-F for "Find"
Shift-RAmiga-F for "Find and replace"

etc.
I totally agree with that! Would really be a sensible feature for 4.2!! :-))
trixie

Post by trixie »

@Amigo1

Perhaps it would be worth making it a separate feature request. The devs could then quickly tell us whether this feature is feasible at all and/or whether it could possibly break old(er) software or not.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Amigo1 wrote:
trixie wrote:@amigo1
Amigo1 wrote:Recently I read in some other thread the keyboard shortcuts are the same for all locale settings. A really helpful chnage. Thanks a lot the the devs for this change!
This is not a change the developers made, but a standard the translators (originally ATO) created and followed since OS 3.5. Some language teams have been slower than others to adapt their translations to it.
Was there a change? I always thought that menu command keys (keyboard shortcuts) were not supposed to be localized.
Originally, nobody had thought about this rule, so each (team of?) translator(s?) within Commodore did what they thought best. I am even pretty sure there is nothing about it in the AUISG. But it can be dangerous and certainly annoying if you are used to one set of menu shortcuts, and someone changes your Locale settings, or you use someone else's machine without realising that it is set to another language, and this makes the shortcuts change their meanings, maybe to a destructive action. The problem being that you don't actually see the menus with their shortcut keys marked when you use the shortcuts.
Yes, there was a change. I cannot verify it for the next few weeks, but it used to be that shortcuts were localized, at least until OS4.0 but maybe the plain 4.1u1 behaved like that too..
It depends on which language you use. For instance, the Danish translation of the Workbench menus has followed this rule since OS 3.5, while others have only recently adopted it (and some might not even be there yet).

Best regards,

Niels
trixie

Post by trixie »

nbache wrote:For instance, the Danish translation of the Workbench menus has followed this rule since OS 3.5
The Czech localization team apparently did the same - that's why I was wondering if there was a change at all :-)
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
chris

Post by chris »

trixie wrote:Perhaps it would be worth making it a separate feature request. The devs could then quickly tell us whether this feature is feasible at all and/or whether it could possibly break old(er) software or not.
Yes, that's definitely a separate feature request.

I suspect a NewMenu flag MENU_KEY_SHIFTED or something would be the way to implement it from a user perspective. Whether Intuition's creaky menu infrastructure can be updated to support it is another matter.
JosDuchIt

Post by JosDuchIt »

And for most commands have them also as arexx commands