Replace AmiDock with new Dock system

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
HKvalhe

Replace AmiDock with new Dock system

Post by HKvalhe »

There seem to be many threats related to different problems and limitations with AmiDock. I will try not to reprice these problems other than saying that AmiDock seems limited and less modern than other modern dock and menu systems used in many OSes of today.

I hope that the upcoming AmigaOS 4.2 will make use of a brand new Dock System Standard, fully replacing AmiDock. We need a whole new dock standard that is both modern, beautiful looking, easy to understand, stable and of course future-proof. I hope this can be done and that this has been considered, eventual been worked at.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Replace AmiDock with new Dock system

Post by Rigo »

There are no plans to replace AmiDock right now. What it does, it does well enough.

I'm starting to wonder if this forum was such a good idea after all...

Simon
ddni

Post by ddni »

LOL Simon. It's late don't rise to it! :D :lol:
tommysammy

Post by tommysammy »

Amidock is as good as it is. I have one suggestion for the future. When i go with my mouse pointer over the Amidock icons, a small zoom effect would be nice.
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Rigo wrote:There are no plans to replace AmiDock right now. What it does, it does well enough.

I'm starting to wonder if this forum was such a good idea after all...

Simon
Don't be like that? The forum is very supportive. You don't find better Amiga support on other sites than here.

But i guess AmiDock is quite good, as many of you say, but still can be improved.

I experienced, like some others, than when having the QT-based Vacuum-IM running, giving notifications, then its' icon flashed many times and affected the locked position of AmiDock, but i think i solved it by doing the following for the Maindock in AmiDock.

The MainDock position was set to Normal and Icon Alignment to Bottom. After that, Vacuum-IM notification didn't mess with the AmiDock at all.

Further on, i suppose it would mean just to understand better how to make AmiDock behaves correctly.

Thank you for all the answers, folks. :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Please close this thread. Both major problems have already been discussed in the other thread.
However I do agree they both significant enough that they should be fixed.asap.
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

djrikki wrote:Please close this thread. Both major problems have already been discussed in the other thread.
However I do agree they both significant enough that they should be fixed.asap.
Noticed the 2 other threats related to AmiDock. I agree that this threat should be locked, now that most are aware of the problems with AmiDock and will focus on improving these.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway