We need topbar plugins/modules

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
jaokim
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: We need topbar plugins/modules

Post by jaokim »

kas1e wrote:@jaokim
We also do not know if author of amidock will works on it (but only him know the code good), and will he in interest to do all of this. Will he improve it or not at all. While new stuff can be done
Well, of course. But we don't know if there's an author for the new stuff. And at what point in the feature list would we risk having to abandon the new top level application due to that developer not wanting to improve it?

I think it'd be more time saving to either enhance AmiDock, or write a new AmiDock implementation using the already defined API's, instead of defining a new API and writing an entire new application. But, then again, I'm not the one to decide on this.

I just don't think it is wise to make assumptions on the implementation (i.e. AmiDock or not), but rather just define what the requirements are, from a user point-of-view (as in both end-user, and developer interfacing with the functionality).
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@jaokim

Let's then for beginning collect all what we need to do for amidock to make it "top-bar-functionality". At least some start .. About what i think which need to add:

Add "memory" bar or how it called, when you let's say have 10 icons, but by default see it like "<-" and 3 icons, and pressing on "<-" icon will with nice visual effect expands and show all the 10 and change itself on "->". Then pressing on that new "->" will show them off, and show only 3. Currently we have only "drag bar" , dbl-clicking on which just show all, or not show them all at all. Some nice visual output is need it.

Add option to see that icon is "pressed" not just by changing the color, but by shifting on 1 pixels x/y + adding per 1 black pixel on another side, so it will looks like user press it in deep. Or maybe that can be done just via icon itself ?

Add settings or code to amidock api which will mean "when iconify, drop to panel". I.e. just to make kind of tray-bar stuff.

Add ability to make a "dropdown menu" after user press on that icon in top bar dock. I.e. you press it, and instead of immediately bring of settings, it drop-down some menu for you where you can choice "about, settings, remove from top bar, etc".

What else ?

Could docky be done right now to be able to do this:

When user click on it 1 time, it just bring settings window , by choice in which, the data in the dock bar will be changed ? I.e. keymap switcher, and we just press on let's say UK flag image, it bring menu where we can choice languages to switch between, and then when we will press some combos, then that image will changes in amidock panel (so user will note what language is current right now)
jaokim
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by jaokim »

kas1e wrote:Could docky be done right now to be able to do this:

When user click on it 1 time, it just bring settings window , by choice in which, the data in the dock bar will be changed ? I.e. keymap switcher, and we just press on let's say UK flag image, it bring menu where we can choice languages to switch between, and then when we will press some combos, then that image will changes in amidock panel (so user will note what language is current right now)
Almost like that, yes.

The easiest way to achieve it would be to open a popup menu and let the user choose the keymap (which will show one of AmiDocks most annoying feature where you first have to left click the icon, and then right click for the menu -- but this should be have a bugzilla enhancement entry). But it is also possible to open a window on a single click.

The icon image can be updated at anytime.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@jaokim
which will show one of AmiDocks most annoying feature where you first have to left click the icon, and then right click for the menu -- but this should be have a bugzilla enhancement entry
If you will write body of BZ, i can make it right now

Another question, is it possible with current amidock to set something "have a dock all the time on all newly opened screens" ?

ps. another problem, is where we set "alway on background" and put that docky on top-bar, and then use "wb-pattern" to change on the new image for backdrop, then top-bar docky disappear.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

An idea just popped into my mind. It might be silly, but I post it anyway..

Other Os have widgets, we have really fast screen switching.. what if there was a screen where you can put all your needed stuff in, always at hand but out of the way..... would be Workbench with AmiDock and the menu screen bar at the end..

I'm posting this anyway.. ;-)
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@jaokim / abalaban

I was able to setup something with amidock, at least visually it looks fine, check screen: here.

I.e. there is amidock and just 2 icons inside (one for keymap switcher and another for mixer). They placed closed to digiclock, which is not docky, but border-less window. So visually it can be placed where need it and stick to right position. But now bunch of questions/suggestions:

1. Can it be now all the time on every new opened screen ? If so, where is options for ?
2. As it now, we can only use right-mouse-button to click on it. We can't use left mouse button under it, to have let's say drop-down menu with some entryes like "about, remove from top-bar, settings, etc".
3. there is no fancy stuff which will fold/unfold dock (so when there will be many top-bar stuff, it can be reduced automatically, to keep space of top bar).
4. top-bar modules mean that they are running already by default, and when you press on them, you run their settings, not run them first time. For that we need or add running of them in wbstartup/startup-scripts, or make an one more enhancements for amidock which will mean "run them at startup", but that a mess .. Dunno how we can sort it all with amidock normally and without mess.
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Great idea as you say requested many times over already.

It seems logical to follow the MacOS route, historically both OSes possess a screenbar.
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

@kas1e

I don't get it: why absolutely want to mimic what other oses are doing? And even how they are doing it?

To sum it up here are your requirements:
  1. have a a place where running applications could display a small icon to show they are running or display state information,
  2. this place should be available no matter on which screen you are,
  3. when a given application threshold is displayed there should be a mechanism to hide some of the icons,
  4. each icon should have a contextual menu,
  5. they should be run automatically at startup
Okay now what we currently have:
  1. you can define a dock where dockies would be displayed,
  2. actually AmiDock does not jump to the current screen, they are some commodities on OS4depot though that would enable this, -> this can be an enhancement to file against AmiDock
  3. actually AmiDock does have folding mechanism but it will neither be automatic, neither selective: the dock content is displayed or hidden. -> this can be an enhancement to file against AmiDock
  4. dockies can already have dropdown menus, accessible via right mouse button, and just to make it clear left clicking on a docky does not launch the application because if the docky is displayed it means the application is already running. I think you are here mixing between dockies and using AmiDock as an application launcher, Common usage is to have application dockies react to right mouse button to display dropdown menu and double click (with LMB) to show it's GUI.
  5. if a docky is displayed in AmiDock then it means it's running, but the reverse is true in order to have a docky displayed in AmiDock you should run the application first. In fact there are two kind of dockies: 'application dockies' which you can see as modern incarnation of AppIcons and 'standalone dockies' which you can see as AmiDock plugins with visual feedback.
I think you don't master all AmiDock's dokies concepts, maybe you should read again the associated documentations. I'm sure you'll understand that most of your requests can already be implemented today with AmiDock the only thing is that someone has to write all those dockies...

As you are using MUI-OWB try this: go to MUI preferences, then activate display of docky (near setting to start iconified etc.), then you'll notice a docky icon is added to one of your dock (the one configured to receive application dockies in AmiDock configuration, by default it's the first dock you have created), now iconify MUI-OWB (if you have unchecked the 'display AppIcon' option in MUI you should only see an Orygyn docky, right click and left click on it to make some experiments. Or you can try Wet with Docky option activated it would be better.
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

djrikki wrote:Great idea as you say requested many times over already.

It seems logical to follow the MacOS route, historically both OSes possess a screenbar.
No, not a great idea and no, it should not follow that path. BTW: It wouldn't help me anyway, 'cos my "Screenbar" is switched off. I'm with those who would like AmiDock to evolve - saying this, it already has a lot of functionality. But of course it has potential. ;-)
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@abalaban
I don't get it: why absolutely want to mimic what other oses are doing? And even how they are doing it?
It is not necessary to how they are doing it. If it all can be done via amidock : let's be it. I am fully ok if there will be less work involved, and only some manual changes need to be done on process of installation (like "want top-bar docky by default ?"), which is nicely designed and co.

The feature of those tray-kind icons are used everywhere not because they all mimic all together, but because it prove by millions that it is nice feature. No need to fear make stuff which is good, even if it present somewhere already. Good thing good to have, bad things bad to have, and does not matter if it already done on another oses or not. Just some things are prove to be very user friendly, and that one of them. Those who are connected to retro very much, can always choice to not have it (ON/OFF), not big deal.

What i mean, is that top-bar stuff is just good and user friendly. If it can be done via amidock - cool. Currently through, i see no top-bar dockys which reacts exactly as i want (or as any other casual newbe can expect)

I think you don't master all AmiDock's dokies concepts, maybe you should read again the associated documentations.
Its not about me in end, its about having by default nice panel at top of screen (be it docky or whatever), where some necessary parts are placed (keymap indication, volume control, etc). Because no newbe will read any documentation (some one may found its interesting, but most are not, and they will think that os suck because by default they need to "read amidock docs").
I'm sure you'll understand that most of your requests can already be implemented today with AmiDock the only thing is that someone has to write all those dockies...
Is there any big-fat and normally done article about amidocks and all of their features, ideas, concepts, apis, examples , info about how to write top-bar dockys (i am sure we need to write such article if we didn't have it, specially with point about top-bar docks) ?

Can coder do with amidock that right now:

User boot amigaos , and have dock at screenbar, without dbl-clicking on anything, and without running anything else from anywhere. It is already in background and depending on what user press, that docky change the look. Then, if user click on that "flag" docky, he have a menu where he can choice some keymap and settings. Not run it, but it already resident, and by dbl-clicking it spawn a necessary stuff. Also , if user click by left mouse button, he will have some other option or menu. It is possible ? I.e. like this:

It is possible already or more improvements to amidock should be done ?

Currently, there is 3 BZ about which i heard in those 2 related topics:

BZ #1: easy one: Add option to make dock jump on the current screen all the time.
BZ #2: harder one: Improve folding mechanism: now it can be only hidden or displayed, need to improve it by adding automatic and selective (to BZ also add graphics example of folding )
BZ #3: dunno hard or easy one: Add ability to spawn a menu just by "right click over docky in dock". Because currently, you first have to left click the icon, and then right click for the menu, its annoying , and as far as i get code can be done like this : if mouse cursor are over the docky, then handle rmb/lbm differently.

What else ?

@cha05e90
BTW: It wouldn't help me anyway, 'cos my "Screenbar" is switched off.
Bad (or good) for you then :) You always can it on and off. Want top bar panel: on, don't want: off. Or if it will be top-bar docky, it then can works without top-bar too.