Better doc & arexx port for AmiPDF

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
JosDuchIt

Better doc & arexx port for AmiPDF

Post by JosDuchIt »

I would like to see
- better help with actual features of AmiPDF (did not find more than the CLI template)
- at least a minimal arexx interface

Personal context:

I did build a Gui4CLI Gui helping me to "browse" through a big "linear" .pdf file. ( a large course on fysiology with numerous images)
It has limitations mainly because AmiPDF's lack of an arexx port
As it is i can load a given page (selected from the content list), but i have to close manually, to avoid having a big number of pages open at the same time

1. Questions about the template

AmiPDF has the following template, of which i dont'find any explanation
12.Amiga OS 4:C> sys:utilities/Amipdf/amipdf ?
FILE,PAGE/N,PAGENAME/K,OWNERPASS/K,USERPASS/K,ZOOM/K,PUBSCREEN/K,FULLSCREEN/S,PAPERSIZE=PS/K,PAPERWIDTH=PW/K,PAPERHEIGHT=PH/K,PSLEVEL1/S,TEXTENCODING=TE/K,QUIET/S:

What is PSLEVEL1 & what is default ?
Can somebody give me some examples how to use the ZOOM option (e.g fit width, fit page), the acceptable values for paper width & height (hopefully loading the page at preset zoom value)

2. Wishes for AmiPDF template
It would be also most interesting to have a ROTATE option., to open a page directly in a readable positio.

3. Wishes for an arexx port
Finally having an arexx port allowing to change pages, zoom setting and having a quit possibility would be grand.

Other existing manual commands are welcome too of course

The possibility to extract (visually rectangularly delineated) parts of a pdf document as text is much appreciated, especially with multicolumn documents.
A full (2 column) document is well transformed with SaveAsText menu too. (did not test on mor' columns)

A small wish would then be to be able to just transform only a given (one or 2 column) page (or a number of successive pages) to a text file
Would it be possible to extract images (i guess this is possible with adobe reader) without having to select them (as with SGrab) ? Would be nice too for images not taking up a whole page, or images taking up a whole page.(should be easier i suppose)
Spektro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Better doc & arexx port for AmiPDF

Post by Spektro »

JosDuchIt wrote:AmiPDF has the following template, of which i dont'find any explanation
12.Amiga OS 4:C> sys:utilities/Amipdf/amipdf ?
FILE,PAGE/N,PAGENAME/K,OWNERPASS/K,USERPASS/K,ZOOM/K,PUBSCREEN/K,FULLSCREEN/S,PAPERSIZE=PS/K,PAPERWIDTH=PW/K,PAPERHEIGHT=PH/K,PSLEVEL1/S,TEXTENCODING=TE/K,QUIET/S:
FILE
Name of the PDF file to open.

PAGE
Page number. Open the PDF document from the specified page.

PAGENAME
Like PAGE except you can use page names instead of page numbers.

OWNERPASS
Document's owner password. Providing this will bypass all security restrictions.

USERPASS
Document's user password. As a minimum this will unlock the read protection.

ZOOM
Zoom factor. Percentage value.

PUBSCREEN
Name of the public screen. AmiPDF will open its window on the public screen which name has been supplied with this argument.

FULLSCREEN
Display the PDF document using the full-screen mode.

PAPERSIZE
Paper size: "letter", "legal", "A4", or "A3".

QUIET
Don't print any messages or errors.
- Janne Peräaho
Spektro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Spektro »

I've updated the AmiPDF instructions on the AmigaOS Documentation Wiki: http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_Ma ... ing#AmiPDF
The Wiki has a little bit more information than what I wrote here.
- Janne Peräaho
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Spektro wrote:I've updated the AmiPDF instructions on the AmigaOS Documentation Wiki: http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_Ma ... ing#AmiPDF
The Wiki has a little bit more information than what I wrote here.
Awesome! Thanks!
ExecSG Team Lead
Spektro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Spektro »

No problem, just doing my beta testing job :)

Wiki's AmiPDF section is now complete with the tool types and ARexx interface descriptions.
- Janne Peräaho
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Well done, Spektro!

The "PSLevel1" etc switches are probably switches to select "Postscript Level 1" (etc).
cheers
tony