Bringing Back Lost Features

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
mpiva

Bringing Back Lost Features

Post by mpiva »

This past weekend I was at AmiJAM and I showed Steven Solie a feature that used to be present in AmigaOS 3.9 but is no longer present in AmigaOS 4.1. In particular, this was the ability to toggle Tool Types on or off simply by double-clicking on them in the Icon Information window. Fortunately, Steven said that it should be fairly easy to add that feature back. Hopefully he remembers (<wink><wink> <nudge><nudge>). ;)

However, this got me to thinking about what other features have been lost over time and that we should create a list of Lost Features to discuss bringing them back.

In addition to the item I mentioned above, I've also noticed a feature lacking in the Menus (unless it's just a matter of me not figuring out how to enable it). I suppose, technically, it wan't an AmigaOS 3.9 feature so much as a MagicMenu feature. In MagicMenu, if you use RT-Amiga-RT-Alt to access the menu, you can then use the keyboard's arrow keys to navigate the menu and the Return key to select an item. In AmigaOS 4.x, this doesn't work. In fact, OS4 is a little inconsistent here. While the screen/app menus are not navigatable with the arrow keys (whether opened via mouse button or keyboard), the Context Menus CAN be controlled by the arrow keys. However, ironically, Context Menus can't be opened via the keyboard but only the actual Rt mouse button.

Other lost features that I can think of at the moment are:
- Translator.device
- a simple WYSIWYG notepad
(I mention these more for completeness than anything else. While they'd be nice to have back, I'm not sure they'd be worth the effort).

If anyone else can think of lost features they'd like brought back, I encourage you to add them to this thread (especially if they're minor things that would be relatively easy to add back, like the Tool Types thing I mentioned above).
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Bringing Back Lost Features

Post by Rigo »

It's already there. Hold SHIFT and double click the tooltypes in RaWBInfo

Simon
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

mpiva wrote: Other lost features that I can think of at the moment are:
- Translator.device
An AmigaOS 4.x version of translator.library could be created from:
http://aminet.net/package/dev/src/trans42src

But without a narrator.device there is not much use of it. FWIW narrator.device was already removed in AmigaOS 3.0 and as with ARexx it was only licensed so there is no choice of using the original code for making a new version, instead it would have to be done from scratch.

There is OTOH (only English ATM):
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... device.lha
mpiva

Post by mpiva »

Rigo wrote:It's already there. Hold SHIFT and double click the tooltypes in RaWBInfo
Cool! I just tried it out and it works great (though, technically, it's only a single click with SHIFT). Thanks a lot. Makes me wonder how many more "hidden" features I'm not aware of.
vox

Post by vox »

There are few of such, as OS 4.1 came from OS 3.1 sources, sadly.
But not way too many :-)
------------------------------------------
Future MOS user pon SAM460ex
https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja
http://socdevelopment.wordpress.com/
my_pc_is_amiga

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

I'm remembering some version of amigaguide with multiview allowed you to copy text and also search within the amigaguide. That would be great to have back.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

my_pc_is_amiga wrote:I'm remembering some version of amigaguide with multiview allowed you to copy text and also search within the amigaguide. That would be great to have back.
Hmm, Multiview 53.3 (15.7.2010) together with datatypes.library 53.4 (4.11.2009) displaying a text (ascii) i can do both without problems (when it comes to amigaguide files i don't know, don't have that many)

Mark some text with the mouse and copy it with CTRL+LAMIGA+C
Search in the text, simply press ENTER, enter your text in the search field and off you go

Sufficient for me :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
my_pc_is_amiga

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

Please try to open this in multiview with the current version of the components in OS4.

SYS:Documentation/AHI/ahiusr.guide

There isn't a way to search and to copy the text. If you open it with notepad, then you can search but won't be displayed as an amigaguide with buttons,etc.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

my_pc_is_amiga wrote:Please try to open this in multiview with the current version of the components in OS4.

SYS:Documentation/AHI/ahiusr.guide

There isn't a way to search and to copy the text. If you open it with notepad, then you can search but won't be displayed as an amigaguide with buttons,etc.
True, but iirc that version you are talking about was either Multiview in it's AmigaOS3.9 incarnation (which there are no sources for) or a third party amigaguide datatype, such as Hyperguide from Stephan Rupprecht

The "main stream" Multiview *i* remember couldn't search in amigaguide files (except maybe the 3.9 version, but i don't remember)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg