Mini programs for Workbench

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
HKvalhe

Mini programs for Workbench

Post by HKvalhe »

Been thinking. Why not create some mini programs to place in Workbench, instead of filling AmiDock with several docks that show CPU, RAM, GFX and the internet activity?

As Jack is a multi-tool mini program, developers could create a mini program to display CPU, GPU, RAM and internet activity all in one. This program could also be running in WBStartup Prefs, so that it always start up with such a program, very much like running Jack, which is the case in my system.

I feel AmiDock therefore should be used for the more important programs and tools.

Does creating such a mini program (inspired from Windows) sound like a really nice idea? Can it be done?

That's all i ask :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
Raziel

Re: Mini programs for Workbench

Post by Raziel »

HKvalhe wrote:Been thinking. Why not create some mini programs to place in Workbench, instead of filling AmiDock with several docks that show CPU, RAM, GFX and the internet activity?
Funny, that's what AmiDock was made for (to an extent)
As Jack is a multi-tool mini program, developers could create a mini program to display CPU, GPU, RAM and internet activity all in one. This program could also be running in WBStartup Prefs, so that it always start up with such a program, very much like running Jack, which is the case in my system.
Not in mine and by default not in most other user installations...it's a third party program, why should OS developers spend time supporting third party stuff (it has to be the other way round)
I feel AmiDock therefore should be used for the more important programs and tools.
Such as...?
Does creating such a mini program (inspired from Windows) sound like a really nice idea? Can it be done?
Microsoft took down support for the mini-apps (at least in Win7) due to a major security breach they were not able (or didn't care) to fix.

I think that AmiDock fits perfectly in your description of "mini apps"

...but hey, you can do whatever you want, start coding and throw all your super new mini apps in the Depot, we all be sure to test them out and use them...

...but please stop asking the OS devs to do things for you, ok?
It's startng to get annoying...
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

@Raziel

You don't have to be rude, Raziel. Certainly i am not that toward you. We need to act more professional around here.

You might be right about Microsoft, so there is no need to mention them again.

It was a simple question, and it's not really a bad suggestion, actually. AmiDock should focus on running programs and tools we use most.

While you can certainly have these "mini tools" on the AmiDock, it would be better to have them in a small program running all the time on Workbench.

Yes, i know Jack is 3rd party program, but many are using it, including myself. That has never been a problem.

About saying what i want to see. It's not just about what i want to see, but what others might want to see, too.

And just to make one thing pretty clear. NOT everybody are a coder, programmer or a developer like yourself. People have different talents. Most of us are normal all-round users. Try to keep that in mind, Raziel, and the next time you have something to comment, try to act more professional and in a more friendly tone. This is a forum, NOT a battle ring, so let us all remember that, okay?

Thank you for the attention. You too have a nice day, sir. I might have an idea of what to do. One on Facebook pointed out that the middle button saying "Respect Workbench Titlebar" in AmiDock should be UNTICKED when putting these fancy icons on the titlebar, so i will do just that. However, experimenting with that could be fun. I'll see what i can manage to do.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

Blah .. stop that spam, Helgis !
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

kas1e wrote:Blah .. stop that spam, Helgis !
I'm quoting you so that everybody can see this bad AmigaWorld attitude copy attempt, so i shall IGNORE your comment here, as it is not a spam when filling ONE issue.

But however, i got help from Guillaume, so now it's solved. Nothing more to worry about. You developers can do what you want anyway. You don't listen to normal users. That's the problem.

But this is not the right place to discuss such problems.

Have a nice evening and thank you all for your time.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

The purpose of this forum is to gather possible feature requests.

Play nice guys. If you don't agree with a request then just ignore it.
ExecSG Team Lead
trixie

Post by trixie »

@Helgis

Helge, I'm also with Raziel that AmiDock is actually the place for what you call mini-applications. The AmiDock concept is so much more than a simple application launcher or an icon tray, isn't it? Dockies are mini-applicatons, and the fact that you can add whatever dockies you want (and discard those you don't) to tailor your AmiDock to personal liking is one of the strengths of the entire concept. The fact that few dockies actually look and work like your mini-applications doesn't mean that we need another framework.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

@Trixie

Yes, i realized that AmiDock is created for such things as well. Raziel's explanation was at least far more friendly explained than how Kas1e answered me, so i thank both you and Raziel for any help.

I managed to get it all working, and it was interesting to see how it worked. All i had to do was to untick the "Respect Workbench Titlebar" in the AmiDock and to copy the whole NetDock drawer into SYS:Utillities :)

Thank you both for the help.

Yes, i would say that the problem has been solved :)

Thank you, Trixie, for a further nice explanation. Means a lot :) Great to see you around here :)
Last edited by HKvalhe on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

ssolie wrote:The purpose of this forum is to gather possible feature requests.

Play nice guys. If you don't agree with a request then just ignore it.
I completely agree with you, Solie, and i am myself trying to do my very best to keep a straight, clear and professional line. We must not forget that this is a support forum, trying to help each other the best we can.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Yes there is definitely a problem with these mini-apps in AmiDock, the big one for me is they all look ugly - mainly because there is no max. width and height - the developer seems to make them as big (or small) as they want instead of some OS-imposed restriction/auto-scaling. Ideally move them to the Workbench titlebar much like MacOS and Ubuntu - as already discussed elsewhere on this forum.