ASL Preferences

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
Amigo1

ASL Preferences

Post by Amigo1 »

I had a very smart idea for a little enhancement for the ASL-Requester. This will take the Amiga mainstream again!! :idea: :? :P

Please, please please add a "Relative to Screen" option to the Size cycle gadget in ASL-Preferences. This would allow to use the "xyz to/of window position" in a more efficient and beautiful way. :)
As it is now, sometime the parent window is so small, the ASL-FileRequester needs to be resized first in order to be useable.

I like to use the "Center in Window" or "Top Left of Window" to save screen space (for drag and dropping files to the requester) and to associate the requester to the App. Quite often I happen to have more than one requester open and it's not clear which goes to which app/tool wouldn't it be for the afore mentioned options.

I thought I wrote this request already, but I could not find it using the search function. Just in case: Sorry if thidouble request.

regards!
djrikki

Re: ASL Preferences

Post by djrikki »

I have a better idea and I'll be blunt... replace the whole bloody thing it is grossly outdated and an embarrassment to AmigaOS. I am sure it's well documented elsewhere what is required to bring ASL into the 2000s (nevermind 2014).
trixie

Post by trixie »

@djrikki
replace the whole bloody thing it is grossly outdated and an embarrassment to AmigaOS
Something I've been saying for years.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Amigo1 wrote: Please, please please add a "Relative to Screen" option to the Size cycle gadget in ASL-Preferences. This would allow to use the "xyz to/of window position" in a more efficient and beautiful way. :)
As it is now, sometime the parent window is so small, the ASL-FileRequester needs to be resized first in order to be useable.

I like to use the "Center in Window" or "Top Left of Window" to save screen space (for drag and dropping files to the requester) and to associate the requester to the App. Quite often I happen to have more than one requester open and it's not clear which goes to which app/tool wouldn't it be for the afore mentioned options.

I thought I wrote this request already, but I could not find it using the search function. Just in case: Sorry if thidouble request.

regards!
Took me a while work out what you meant as there is a relative size mode allready, but what I didn't realise is that he size shrinks with the window in 'Centre In window' mode, I always use it centred on the screen. I prefer a long tall requester, to save scrollling through long lists.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

broadblues wrote: Took me a while work out what you meant as there is a relative size mode allready, but what I didn't realise is that he size shrinks with the window in 'Centre In window' mode, I always use it centred on the screen. I prefer a long tall requester, to save scrollling through long lists.

I didn't explain myself very well, sorry about that, but you got what I meant. I like "longer" requesters too, this is why I assume a "relative to screen" would make it always the same size.
Alternatively an Absolute height/width would do too I suppose (but maybe unpleasant when changing screen the resolution/size).

As a note, should a new ASL-Requester ever appear, I really hope the AppWindow function will not be lost. It's one of the most lovely things it has. :-)
JosDuchIt

Post by JosDuchIt »

As i am not aware where to find what is in the pipeline or suggested as improvements, the ability to keep the chosen ordering via prefs , say size, date, name, or "last" (or "sticky" what you did chose last as ordering) is what i would applaucde most for.
I would certanly make the "sticky" mode my personal preference