Amigaguide viewer

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.

Amigaguide viewer

Postby JosDuchIt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:36 pm

I started here (my last msg)
http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/v ... 55&forum=3
describing what imho would enhance the usability of the amigaguide.format.

- A new type of link the "Insert Link" or ILINK that inserts the node at the ILINK position
- automatic generation of tables of content
- autiomatic generation of the index.

I did write a sort of "test of concept" viewer in Gui4Cli and it does the above easily.
For treelike structures (defined by a set of TOC ) which is the most used form of a manual this would speedup writing quite a deal.

In the test of concept viewer i added 2 browsing buttons <before>< <after> (under the existing <previous><next > buttons
that should follow the "physical" sequence of nodes 'as they follow in the document'

The first subnode for a TOC should have no explicit "previous" and the last no explicit "next", alowing easy swapping of chapters or sections
The viewer should take care of the normal reading sequence: defined by the the 'TOC's next and previous nodes at all levels.
JosDuchIt

Re: Amigaguide viewer

Postby trixie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:29 pm

@JosDuchIt

The viewer is IMHO a secondary problem here. Solution should be taken on the datatypes level, i.e. by creating an ebook-type datatype masterclass for structured formats like AmigaGuide, DocBook or ePUB. The document control functionality including a hierarchical TOC would then be provided by the masterclass and shown in MultiView.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon R5 230 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
trixie

Postby JosDuchIt » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:11 pm

@trixie;

i do agree of course, just wanted to clarify my ideas about what is lacking in the almigaguide datatype
JosDuchIt

Postby trixie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:11 pm

It's simply old and badly written, just like AmigaGuide Library. These things date back to the times when Commodore apparently hired local village idiots to to the job.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon R5 230 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
trixie

Postby chris » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:08 am

trixie wrote:It's simply old and badly written, just like AmigaGuide Library.

amigaguide.library barely does anything since 3.0 - it's all implemented in amigaguide.datatype (amigaguide.library is just a Multiview-style wrapper).
I suspect all the code from the v34 amigaguide.library was largely copied'n'pasted into amigaguide.datatype. The "document" superclass is a bit of an oddity, it needs classing properly similar to the hypertext superclasses and their subclasses on Aminet.
chris

Return to AmigaOS Feature Requests