Amigaguide viewer

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
JosDuchIt

Amigaguide viewer

Post by JosDuchIt »

I started here (my last msg)
http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/v ... 55&forum=3
describing what imho would enhance the usability of the amigaguide.format.

- A new type of link the "Insert Link" or ILINK that inserts the node at the ILINK position
- automatic generation of tables of content
- autiomatic generation of the index.

I did write a sort of "test of concept" viewer in Gui4Cli and it does the above easily.
For treelike structures (defined by a set of TOC ) which is the most used form of a manual this would speedup writing quite a deal.

In the test of concept viewer i added 2 browsing buttons <before>< <after> (under the existing <previous><next > buttons
that should follow the "physical" sequence of nodes 'as they follow in the document'

The first subnode for a TOC should have no explicit "previous" and the last no explicit "next", alowing easy swapping of chapters or sections
The viewer should take care of the normal reading sequence: defined by the the 'TOC's next and previous nodes at all levels.
trixie

Re: Amigaguide viewer

Post by trixie »

@JosDuchIt

The viewer is IMHO a secondary problem here. Solution should be taken on the datatypes level, i.e. by creating an ebook-type datatype masterclass for structured formats like AmigaGuide, DocBook or ePUB. The document control functionality including a hierarchical TOC would then be provided by the masterclass and shown in MultiView.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
JosDuchIt

Post by JosDuchIt »

@trixie;

i do agree of course, just wanted to clarify my ideas about what is lacking in the almigaguide datatype
trixie

Post by trixie »

It's simply old and badly written, just like AmigaGuide Library. These things date back to the times when Commodore apparently hired local village idiots to to the job.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
chris

Post by chris »

trixie wrote:It's simply old and badly written, just like AmigaGuide Library.
amigaguide.library barely does anything since 3.0 - it's all implemented in amigaguide.datatype (amigaguide.library is just a Multiview-style wrapper).
I suspect all the code from the v34 amigaguide.library was largely copied'n'pasted into amigaguide.datatype. The "document" superclass is a bit of an oddity, it needs classing properly similar to the hypertext superclasses and their subclasses on Aminet.