sGrab specifying the output file spec

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: sGrab specifying the output file spec

Post by tonyw »

You CAN read the current contents of a string gadget after the user has left it by clicking somewhere else. I do it in most of my applications.
IIRC, the way it works by default, you only get a notification when the user presses the Enter key whilst in the gadget. You have to remember the "last gadget ID", and compare it with the "current gadget ID": if the "last" is one of your string gadgets, go back and read the current string. It's not rocket surgery, but some programmers are lazy.
cheers
tony
trixie

Post by trixie »

@tonyw
It's not rocket surgery, but some programmers are lazy.
If the desired behaviour indeed is that after being abandoned, the string gadget restores its contents to whatever there was before the unconfirmed edit, then the restoring should IMHO be performed by the gadget and not by the programmer.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
ggw

Post by ggw »

MichaelMerkel wrote:
Raziel wrote:...
I'm using
Store-path:{TITLE}_{NUMBER}.{TYPE}
in SGrabs main window under "File" and have never ever overwritten anything by accident, because SGrab is smart enough to check if there's a file with the same name and simply progress to the next number
i also use this. and if i need the file to be saved somewhere i rename and copy it to wherever i like.

regards...
michael
I will go with that. I don't mind typing to change the name after the fact. Usually the title is enough for me to clearly remember which grab it is the name of. That and the date, I am very chronologically oriented.

Thanks.
George Wyche
ggw

Post by ggw »

trixie wrote:@tonyw
It's not rocket surgery, but some programmers are lazy.
If the desired behaviour indeed is that after being abandoned, the string gadget restores its contents to whatever there was before the unconfirmed edit, then the restoring should IMHO be performed by the gadget and not by the programmer.
In so many applications it is the "confirmation of contents" that then causes further action (if all other entries also have confirmation) so it becomes awkward to change your mind about other entries (based on what you /just/ typed and confirmed).

The web browsing constraints and plethora of hurried programmers has ruined any strong sense of what to expect if THE confirmation leads to another (reformed) page.

Michael's ideas will take some thinkng about the pros and cons of those couple ideas.
George Wyche
marko

Post by marko »

michael wrote:
and is the good-working software in that case undoing the typed in string content and displaying the "correct" input again?
or is the "not-conformed" content still visible in that case?
i actually guess the latter. which makes it, well, broken in my opinion. *if* not pressing enter or whatever is a cancel of input the content needs to reflect that.
+1

Well, yes, broken in my opinion too.
AmigaOS 4.1 FE on Sam440ep-flex @ 800MHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250
Still waiting (or dreaming) for The Amiga revolution...
m4rko.com/AMIGA
Lio

Post by Lio »

SnapIT took over the job from SGrab, please try it !