sGrab specifying the output file spec

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
ggw

sGrab specifying the output file spec

Post by ggw »

I am abandoning sgrab OS4.1u6 (and all earlier versions) because I just lost a grab of a medical payment due to my failure to press the Enter key.

Previously, I had gw:missives/20140507cpllabs which worked, writing that name + .png.

Being (insufficiently) wary of sGrab I erased the name back to gw:missives/. After paying another bill I added to the name to gw:missives/20140509AustinPathology and failed to press Enter and clicked Grab.

sGrab overwrote my previous grab of some 10 minutes earlier.

That input scheme is just too user unfriendly.
George Wyche
Raziel

Re: sGrab specifying the output file spec

Post by Raziel »

I'm sorry that this happened to you.

Still, SGrab is a third party addition and you should get in contact with the author directly
info -at- stephan-rupprecht POINT de

I may be wrong but i don't think the OS4 devs have the sources to that program...
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
ggw

Post by ggw »

I was just mad.

I spent an hour looking for an alternative. I found nothing viable. That means sGrab satisfies nearly everyone.
I am a "nearly everyone" so it must be me, not the program.

I spent an hour looking to control it with AREXX. Its been some 8 years since I wrote an AREXX script, so I had to look at that some more. Shortly, I needed to look at sGrab's AREXX commands to see if there were enough of them to have a hope of protecting me.

That meant reading about sGrab's options. (More time.) And I had to review the use of tooltypes to guess why those defaults for sGrab are what they are. More time while I think about why ALL the possible tool types are not shown?

Is it true that the only way to include comments within tooltypes is to put miscellaneous text within ( and )?

Sigh. I will go read more details about tooltypes. HOWEVER, FILE using /lbrace/number/rbrace/ and NUMBER. If I don't change the outputfile name withing sGrab, then I am much safer.

I think I will give up and not write an AREXXX for this.

Remind me (control of commodities always puzzles me) how to truly stop SGRAB, ok?
George Wyche
joerg

Post by joerg »

ggw wrote:I am abandoning sgrab OS4.1u6 (and all earlier versions) because I just lost a grab of a medical payment due to my failure to press the Enter key.
Yes, it was your failure to expect all AmigaOS software to be as broken as for example MUI, or the AmigaOS GUI working like other GUIs on some other OSes.
Changed contents of a string gadget must not be used if return (or enter, tab or shift-tab) wasn't pressed to confirm the change but the change was cancelled, for example by activating something else with the mouse. You can cancel all actions on AmigaOS, for example pressing the right mouse button to abort moving or resizing a window, for string gadgets it's done by leaving it without pressing return/tab.
Software doing it differently on AmigaOS is broken, not only MUI, there is even a lot of software using an AmigaOS GUI with this bug :-(
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

ggw wrote: Is it true that the only way to include comments within tooltypes is to put miscellaneous text within ( and )?
That wouldn't be a comment, but an unused tooltype

I think comments in the tooltype section can be done with #, but i'm not sure
Of course you can put anything between () as it's not used by the program on startup, but practically it's not a comment ;-)
Sigh. I will go read more details about tooltypes. HOWEVER, FILE using /lbrace/number/rbrace/ and NUMBER. If I don't change the outputfile name withing sGrab, then I am much safer.
I'm using
Store-path:{TITLE}_{NUMBER}.{TYPE}
in SGrabs main window under "File" and have never ever overwritten anything by accident, because SGrab is smart enough to check if there's a file with the same name and simply progress to the next number
Remind me (control of commodities always puzzles me) how to truly stop SGRAB, ok?
That has puzzled me too, why SGrab won't actually "Quit" when i tell it to do so :-)
You have to right-click to bring up SGrabs menu and choose Quit from there
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

joerg wrote:...
Changed contents of a string gadget must not be used if return (or enter, tab or shift-tab) wasn't pressed to confirm the change but the change was cancelled, for example by activating something else with the mouse. You can cancel all actions on AmigaOS, for example pressing the right mouse button to abort moving or resizing a window, for string gadgets it's done by leaving it without pressing return/tab.
and is the good-working software in that case undoing the typed in string content and displaying the "correct" input again?
or is the "not-conformed" content still visible in that case?
i actually guess the latter. which makes it, well, broken in my opinion. *if* not pressing enter or whatever is a cancel of input the content needs to reflect that. maybe also by some visual enhancement in string gadget like green/red color or a little icon or whatever. this is a must imho.
maybe i create an enhancement request for this.

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

Raziel wrote:...
I'm using
Store-path:{TITLE}_{NUMBER}.{TYPE}
in SGrabs main window under "File" and have never ever overwritten anything by accident, because SGrab is smart enough to check if there's a file with the same name and simply progress to the next number
i also use this. and if i need the file to be saved somewhere i rename and copy it to wherever i like.

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

joerg wrote:
ggw wrote:I am abandoning sgrab OS4.1u6 (and all earlier versions) because I just lost a grab of a medical payment due to my failure to press the Enter key.
Yes, it was your failure to expect all AmigaOS software to be as broken as for example MUI, or the AmigaOS GUI working like other GUIs on some other OSes.
Software doing it differently on AmigaOS is broken, not only MUI, there is even a lot of software using an AmigaOS GUI with this bug :-(
From my personal perspective the problem with (old) software using this feature, was that when you typed something...NOT pressed any of the confirmation buttons but, i.e. the mouse button to someplace else (so the window got deactivated OR the cursor disappeared from the string gadget), the string gadgets entries weren't sat back to the original before changing, rather they stayed what you typed...that fooled me more than once in the past. :-)

Not sure if new software still does it that way, haven't really checked
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

MichaelMerkel wrote:
and is the good-working software in that case undoing the typed in string content and displaying the "correct" input again?
i actually guess the latter. which makes it, well, broken in my opinion. *if* not pressing enter or whatever is a cancel of input the content needs to reflect that. maybe also by some visual enhancement in string gadget like green/red color or a little icon or whatever. this is a must imho.

regards...
michael
Hehehe, my words exactly...i support a feature request toward such change
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

Raziel wrote:
MichaelMerkel wrote:

regards...
michael
Hehehe, my words exactly...i support a feature request toward such change
Me too!