Version numer when overwriting files

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Version numer when overwriting files

Post by JohnFante »

Sorry in advance if this has been covered elsewhere or if my request is allready implemented.

One of the things I have always liked in MorphOS is that - when you try to overwrite a file by for instance dragging a file with the same name into a drawer - it tells you the date, size AND version number of the target and source file.

It is not a big thing but if we can do the same in 4.1 I would be glad. :-)

Thanks for a great OS.
X5000 :-)
Spektro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Version numer when overwriting files

Post by Spektro »

Sounds like a good idea.

What I have never understood is why you can't overwrite files inside a volume. I.e. moving a file gives you an error message if there is a file with the same name in the target drawer.
- Janne Peräaho
jaokim
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by jaokim »

Spektro wrote:What I have never understood is why you can't overwrite files inside a volume. I.e. moving a file gives you an error message if there is a file with the same name in the target drawer.
If you in the same time as moving press right Amiga-key you will copy the file instead, which will overwrite the old one. Perhaps not exactly what you want, but it gives the same effect as dragging between volumes.
Spektro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Spektro »

jaokim wrote:If you in the same time as moving press right Amiga-key you will copy the file instead, which will overwrite the old one. Perhaps not exactly what you want, but it gives the same effect as dragging between volumes.
It doesn't seem to work here. I think the right Amiga key is tied to the Workbench feature to automatically close parent drawers.

I tried the left Amiga key, left shift, right shift, left alt, right alt, left ctrl, and right ctrl too, but no success.
- Janne Peräaho
chris

Post by chris »

Spektro wrote:
jaokim wrote:If you in the same time as moving press right Amiga-key you will copy the file instead, which will overwrite the old one. Perhaps not exactly what you want, but it gives the same effect as dragging between volumes.
It doesn't seem to work here. I think the right Amiga key is tied to the Workbench feature to automatically close parent drawers.

I tried the left Amiga key, left shift, right shift, left alt, right alt, left ctrl, and right ctrl too, but no success.
It definitely does work, or at least used to. I thought it was LAmiga though, not RAmiga. Maybe they both do the same thing.