Unarc Destination Path

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
djrikki

Unarc Destination Path

Post by djrikki »

A small request, please move the Destination Tooltype into the application itself.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Unarc Destination Path

Post by tonyw »

I don't think I understand what you want. You can select a destination at any time or just use the default from the tooltype.

Is that not enough?
cheers
tony
BCPedigo

Post by BCPedigo »

On the X1000, the Destination tool type default can be changed by Destination=Drivename: (for instance Destination=Work:), to get the archive default to work you have to change the tooltype name from Source to Archive. (for instance Archive=Work:downloads/) While this does not answer your question, hopefully it will make Unarc easier to set up the way you want.
AmigaOne XE-g3 Early Bird
AmigaOne X1000 FC
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Tooltypes are hardly 2015-friendly. My destination folder is always the same path, and although I have now changed it to Downloads: I believe this sort of Setting (being the operative word) should always be found inside the application, and not essentially what is in fact outside the App.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

But it's not "outside". It's part of the tool's meta data.

For those who run everything from WB (the intended use of the machine), the icon and its meta data are a part of the tool.

It's only lower-level people like you and I that call the tool from a Shell.

I think the tool should be smart enough to read the tooltypes from its icon in that situation. I remember this discussion before (with a different tool?) and the tool was changed to read the tooltypes when operated from a CLI (which is not trivial).

How do you want to see the setting displayed (presumably the ASL requester that it now has is not enough for you). Did you want to see it as a menu Setting?

There are some tools (eg Prefs/Monitors) that save their settings in the icon tooltypes. Is that what you want?
cheers
tony
whose

Post by whose »

I believe that a menu point "Settings" (or something like that) is meant here... this way it would be "inside" the application.

Maybe some menu entry that saves some settings to the tooltypes on demand? This was "good practice" back in the golden era of the Amiga, I don´t understand why it isn´t anymore these days :-( Tooltype handling is quite easy to do (even if a tool is called by CLI/Shell, InsanePlaya is doing it this way and it wasn´t really hard to do. All that is missing is some standard scheme for handling these cases. I would prefer a standard keyword like "USETOOLTYPES" or such, as part of the StyleGuide).

I´m really glad that Amiga still isn´t "2015 friendly", btw., because not all things called "state of the year" are good.
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

It's an intrigue. I don't particular like the tooltipe pref changing and prefer a more direct approach that is more intuitive, yet it helped me learn more about the system and reintroduce myself to certain elements while also managing to change the .def deafult tool even before I read how to do it in a manual...