MUI Themes for MUI4 and Context Menus Preference

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
HKvalhe

MUI Themes for MUI4 and Context Menus Preference

Post by HKvalhe »

I have some suggestions that i hope will appear in future updates for AmigaOS 4.1 Final, as the OS is already excellent and need not much for futher improvements :)

*Different choices of MUI Themes and an easy way to pick them without having to do several tricky configurations oneself. Mostly, an ordinary user doesn't know what is the best look for MUI, so an easy way to choose just the MUI Theme you want to use, just like done with GUI, could make stuffs far easier and a lot more timesaving that way. I'm sure this is under work and will come through an update.

*A Preference for Context Menus are not yet available, but i understand from its' document that this is being worked on, and should by then make it far easier to configure the use of Context Menus.

That would be all for now :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
Raziel

Re: MUI Themes for MUI4 and Context Menus Preference

Post by Raziel »

What does MUI has to do with AmigaOS?
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Raziel wrote:What does MUI has to do with AmigaOS?
MUI is an alternative GUI, yes, but it has become more and more an important part of AmigaOS4. MUI 4 is edvidence of that.

What i am trying to suggest is that like MUI4 in MorphOS where the user can easily choose a MUI Theme within MUI, this feature should be part of MUI 4 for AmigaOS4 as well.

Why go through a lot of heavy configurations within MUI, when you can choose an ideal MUI-based Theme to use? In MorphOS you see that in the desktop environment of MorphOS, as the whole system is based on MUI. Like it or not, a lot of AmigaOS4 applications are based on MUI. This is why we have MUI4 as an alternative GUI within AmigaOS4 itself.

Therefore it was ideal to suggest possibility to include different MUI Themes to use in MUI4 for AmigaOS4, just like MUI4 for MorphOS. That what is it about.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

For anything MUI related you should use their web site at http://muidev.de/

MUI is a 3rd party contribution and the developers prefer that you use their web site for any communications.
ExecSG Team Lead
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

ssolie wrote:For anything MUI related you should use their web site at http://muidev.de/

MUI is a 3rd party contribution and the developers prefer that you use their web site for any communications.
Thanks Ssolie :) Will try that :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
tboeckel
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tboeckel »

HKvalhe wrote:
ssolie wrote:For anything MUI related you should use their web site at http://muidev.de/

Thanks Ssolie :) Will try that :)
There is nothing to be done from our side. MUI4 for AmigaOS offers exactly the same set of features as MUI4 for MorphOS. As such you can easily switch between all available themes by selecting them from the "Settings" popup menu. But this requires some themes to be available. If there are no themes then nobody has build such themes yet. Go ahead and design your own theme. If you like we can include it in future release archives.
klesterjr

Post by klesterjr »

tboeckel wrote:MUI4 for AmigaOS offers exactly the same set of features as MUI4 for MorphOS. As such you can easily switch between all available themes by selecting them from the "Settings" popup menu.
Actually, they are not the same. I've painted MUI4 themes for both platforms and they are similar, but not the same.
AmigaOne X5000 -- 5020/8gb, Radeon RX560 & X1950Pro, OS4, MOS, & Linux
AmigaOne A1222 -- 2gb, Radeon 6450, OS4 & Linux
Amiga 3000 -- 2mb chip/16mb fast, BFG9060 (rev6 68060 & 128mb), Picasso 4, Re-A4091, X-Surf 100
tboeckel
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tboeckel »

klesterjr wrote:
tboeckel wrote:MUI4 for AmigaOS offers exactly the same set of features as MUI4 for MorphOS. As such you can easily switch between all available themes by selecting them from the "Settings" popup menu.
Actually, they are not the same. I've painted MUI4 themes for both platforms and they are similar, but not the same.
I referred to themes created for MUI for AmigaOS. Any such theme can be used without any restrictions.

But yes,it is true that MUI themes for AmigaOS and MorphOS are incompatible to a certain degree. The point is that I had to choose config IDs for new settings myself and could no longer use the same IDs as on MorphOS, because I just didn't know them. I know, that's unfortunate, but cannot be avoided or worked around.
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

It is very interesting to know that there is a different setup of MUI under AmigaOS4, compared to MorphOS. In MorphOS, the Ambient Desktop relies completely on MUI4 design for MorphOS, while in AmigaOS4, MUI4 appears as an alternative GUI, and many 3rd part applications are using MUI rather than Reaction, which is the main GUI in AmigaOS4. Interesting to see however.

The reason i was taking up this about MUI is that most ordinary users like myself have no idea what would be the ideal look for MUI to use in our system, and everybody have a different taste. Also, going through a lot of settings to do changes in configuration doesn't seem ideal, unless you are actually a MUI developer yourself. But for an ordinary user, this isn't ideal, i would say. So in that case, it would be better to have several different MUI-based Themes available to choose from, if that is now possible.

By the way, i managed to set up my MUI in a way i seem to like. It might not be the perfect choice, but it's a style i can grow to like :)

[img]MUI4Black.jpg[/img]
Attachments
MUI4Black.jpg
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
chris

Post by chris »

HKvalhe wrote:The reason i was taking up this about MUI is that most ordinary users like myself have no idea what would be the ideal look for MUI to use in our system, and everybody have a different taste. Also, going through a lot of settings to do changes in configuration doesn't seem ideal, unless you are actually a MUI developer yourself. But for an ordinary user, this isn't ideal, i would say. So in that case, it would be better to have several different MUI-based Themes available to choose from, if that is now possible.
The default settings mimic the OS4 look. I did however change one thing - tooltips (helphints) were set to "balloon" whereas Reaction uses rectangular areas. I changed this to "rectangle" in the settings and they now match (would be nice if this could be made the default).

The only other thing I did was remove the iconify gadget as iconify appears in the window's popup menu, and stop the window sizes and positions from saving on exit (*really* annoys me), but they're just personal preference.