Reimplementing Images in clicktab.gadget

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
samo79

Reimplementing Images in clicktab.gadget

Post by samo79 »

Since clicktab.gadget version 53.39 the image (the graphical X to close a tab) are not displayed anymore on the inactive tabs.
In old version of the gadget images for inactive tabs were properly showed as you can see in this old image of OWB:

http://os4depot.net/filedata/snapshot/6356_3_snap.jpg

I wonder if this old behaviour could be reimplemented in some way, atleast programmers can decide via code if show them in their apps (or not)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Reimplementing Images in clicktab.gadget

Post by tonyw »

That was changed in September 2011 - 3½ years ago, in response to a number of enhancement requests.
cheers
tony
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

And primarily, it was changed to stop users inadvertently closing tabs by clicking on the close gadget of an inactive tab while trying to switch to it.

This is why inactive tabs do not show the close gadget, so the user can click anywhere inside it to switch to that tab. Then, and only then, can the tab be closed by the close gadget.
Any other way of operating the gadget just led to frustration because of tabs closing when trying to switch to them.

This is unlikely to change any time soon, so it's probably better to drop the subject, in fairness.

Simon
chris

Post by chris »

Rigo wrote:And primarily, it was changed to stop users inadvertently closing tabs by clicking on the close gadget of an inactive tab while trying to switch to it.

This is why inactive tabs do not show the close gadget, so the user can click anywhere inside it to switch to that tab. Then, and only then, can the tab be closed by the close gadget.
Any other way of operating the gadget just led to frustration because of tabs closing when trying to switch to them.

This is unlikely to change any time soon, so it's probably better to drop the subject, in fairness.
Maybe a right-click menu "close tab" option can be added? And maybe one to "close other tabs" whilst we're at it?
trixie

Post by trixie »

samo79 wrote:Since clicktab.gadget version 53.39 the image (the graphical X to close a tab) are not displayed anymore on the inactive tabs.
And I consider it a change for the better. What Rigo has said above, plus it has removed unnecessary visual clutter in the gadget.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Matter of taste no doubt and maybe it could stay as is, however why not reimplement it in case developers want use such kind of feature on their programs ?

For example i'm not sure if Chris is happy with the current implementation or not, maybe he prefer to show all images in his NetSurf tabs, others might too
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

chris wrote:
Rigo wrote:And primarily, it was changed to stop users inadvertently closing tabs by clicking on the close gadget of an inactive tab while trying to switch to it.

Maybe a right-click menu "close tab" option can be added? And maybe one to "close other tabs" whilst we're at it?

good idea!
chris

Post by chris »

I'm rather more concerned that in FE's version of clicktab.gadget, the drop-down menu that appears when too many tabs are open, appears to have been removed. As a consequence, tabs just drift off the side of the window and the layout gets royally screwed.

I assume this is a bug?
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

chris wrote:I'm rather more concerned that in FE's version of clicktab.gadget, the drop-down menu that appears when too many tabs are open, appears to have been removed. As a consequence, tabs just drift off the side of the window and the layout gets royally screwed.

I assume this is a bug?
That seems to presnt here in both CodeBench and OWB , on a beta system at least. Need to verify on FE: but the gadget is the same version in both.
chris

Post by chris »

broadblues wrote:
chris wrote:I'm rather more concerned that in FE's version of clicktab.gadget, the drop-down menu that appears when too many tabs are open, appears to have been removed. As a consequence, tabs just drift off the side of the window and the layout gets royally screwed.

I assume this is a bug?
That seems to presnt here in both CodeBench and OWB , on a beta system at least. Need to verify on FE: but the gadget is the same version in both.
I've just tried again and you're right, it is working. It definitely wasn't when I posted that though, but I doubt I'll be able to recreate the specific circumstances.