CUPS Printing System to AmigaOS4

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
HKvalhe

CUPS Printing System to AmigaOS4

Post by HKvalhe »

A long while back, I read something about a universal printing system from the Linux environment called CUPS, if I am not mistaken.

What is the current status of it? Any change to bring it to AmigaOS4? Would be nice to do some serious printing and scanning. I'm a freelance hobby photographer. I like scanning old photos and bringing them to life. Therefore it would be nice to do that from an Amiga, when that is possible. :)

UPDATE: I misspelled the name of the printing system when making this post. I called it Ghostscript, but it wasn't about Ghostscript, but actually the open-source CUPS printing system.
Last edited by HKvalhe on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Ghostscript Printing System to AmigaOS4

Post by broadblues »

Ghostscript has been ported to AmigaOS since the dawn of time, and is part of the AmigaOS 4 distribution.

sys:Utilities/Ghostscript/
HKvalhe

Re: Ghostscript Printing System to AmigaOS4

Post by HKvalhe »

broadblues wrote:Ghostscript has been ported to AmigaOS since the dawn of time, and is part of the AmigaOS 4 distribution.

sys:Utilities/Ghostscript/
Yes, you are right. But i think i mentioned the wrong name. It's an open source printing system called CUPS, as i remember now. This is the one i'm wondering about.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
eliyahu
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: CUPS Printing System to AmigaOS4

Post by eliyahu »

HKvalhe wrote:A long while back, I read something about a universal printing system from the Linux environment called CUPS, if I am not mistaken.

What is the current status of it? Any change to bring it to AmigaOS4? Would be nice to do some serious printing and scanning. I'm a freelance hobby photographer. I like scanning old photos and bringing them to life. Therefore it would be nice to do that from an Amiga, when that is possible. :)

UPDATE: I misspelled the name of the printing system when making this post. I called it Ghostscript, but it wasn't about Ghostscript, but actually the open-source CUPS printing system.
helge: have you looked at any of the officejet all-in-one products from HP? we have an officejet j6480 and with the third-party photosmart.device driver, it prints just fine, including in color. in fact we print wireless from my amigas using it's built-in wifi and lpr.device on the amiga side. plus it acts as a scanner, and you can scan by connecting to it via a web browser, like odyssey or OWB.

so there you have it. high-quality output, scanning, and even a copying machine thrown in for free! they're great. if you do get one and want help setting it up, feel free to PM me. i wouldn't hold my breath for a CUPS port anytime soon.

-- eliyahu
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

@eliayuh

Thanks :) I'll keep it in mind :) HP will be my next printer then :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Any news about an AmigaOS4 port of CUPS open source printing system? What is the status since 2012 when it was said in an interview it was considered for porting to AmigaOS4? The interview is 3 years old. A full printer system is urgely needed in AmigaOS. Everybody want to copy, fax, print and scan from a multi-printer, even through WIFI...Such will make AmigaOS4 very useful and enjoyable...
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
trixie

Post by trixie »

@Helge

Don't mean to disappoint but I don't think anybody is working on that.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

trixie wrote:@Helge

Don't mean to disappoint but I don't think anybody is working on that.
You're a good man. I know you mean well :)

But there is no surprise we won't see anything important and amazing like this. At least not from Hyperion. It leaves me to think that they don't have money and resources to do something like that. It's very frustrating like banging still the head in the wall anno 2015.

The whole situation is just getting too ridiculous and stupid. It's ironic, as Solie mentioned CUPS in a 2012 interview and STILL, nothing has been done to implement this best possibility to AmigaOS4.

Well, there is TurboPrint, but I think Amiga version is no longer further developed.

I know what I will have to do. To have a dual-boot system. One with Linux, the other with AmigaOS4.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
Interrogative

Post by Interrogative »

Perhaps Hyperion or A-Eon could get in touch with the TurboPrint team and license/update/port to OS 4.x?
Motherboard: SAM460ex lite @1017 MHz 2 GB DDR2 SOLD
PCIe 4x: XFX Radeon HD 7750 Core Edition 1 GB SOLD
PCI: SYBA SY-SA3512-2R 2 Port SATA SOLD
PCIe 1x: Vantec UGT-S110 7.1 Audio SOLD
chris

Post by chris »

terminills was porting GutenPrint, which looked good. However I think he abandoned the OS4 version and I've not heard anything about the other versions either for ages.