The new shell, no shortcut to jump to other screen?

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
JosDuchIt

The new shell, no shortcut to jump to other screen?

Post by JosDuchIt »

My browser is on other screen, my programming editor (CED) too, & with KingCon i was used to position the shell on the screen used

I don't see this possibility here?
Missing something?
xenic

Re: The new shell, no shortcut to jump to other screen?

Post by xenic »

JosDuchIt wrote:My browser is on other screen, my programming editor (CED) too, & with KingCon i was used to position the shell on the screen used

I don't see this possibility here?
Missing something?
I don't see any way to make a shell jump to another screen but you can open a shell on any screen with a command like this:
NewShell "CON:0/28/600/200/AmigaShell/ALT0/28/800/584/CLOSE/SCREEN screen_name"

I have a script (OpenShell)that I can call from WorkBench menus, Amidock, Dopus buttons or my Scriptlauncher toolbar on my Internet screen that looks like this:

Code: Select all

; AmigaDos Script to open a shell on a custom screen

.key screen_name,xxxx/F
.def xxxx "extra_args"
.bra {
.ket }

NewShell "CON:0/28/600/200/AmigaShell/ALT0/28/800/584/CLOSE/SCREEN{screen_name}"
In menus, Amidock etc. I just open a shell on the desired screen with the script like this: "OpenShell Internet".

I wish they would add a console menu to clear the window AND the history buffer when they fix the shell icon crash. Sometimes I want to start a new shell activity with an empty shell window. I don't use tabs because local variables are inherited by new tabs which can cause problems if you are running 2 programs or scripts that set local variables with the same name.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
JosDuchIt

Post by JosDuchIt »

@Xenic

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tranlated it formy needs to
alias OShellOWB NewShell "CON:0/28/600/200/AmigaShell/ALT0/28/800/584/CLOSE/SCREEN OrigynWebBrowser"
alias OShellCED NewShell "CON:0/28/600/200/AmigaShell/ALT0/28/800/584/CLOSE/SCREEN CygnusEdScreen1"
It opens a new shell indeed , but you stay on the original console
An improvement would be to have a
ThisShell "CON:0/28/600/200/AmigaShell/ALT0/28/800/584/CLOSE/SCREEN OrigynWebBrowser"
command that changes its con:specifications & positions you on the given screen

Maybe a hotkey is still what i would i prefer as it is what i am accustomed to & what KingCon allows.
I can easily move a gui4cli app to an other screen (say to the editor's screen ) so i often start debugging on workbench screen (Gui4Cli output directed to a console window.)
then realise i could better move the Gui and it's debug output to my CED screen

Wouldn't object to have both solutions.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

xenic wrote:
I don't see any way to make a shell jump to another screen but you can open a shell on any screen with a command like this:
NewShell "CON:0/28/600/200/AmigaShell/ALT0/28/800/584/CLOSE/SCREEN screen_name"
Yes you are right, once opened the shell window can't "jump" to another screen, but can be opened on a new screen in the first place.
I wish they would add a console menu to clear the window AND the history buffer when they fix the shell icon crash. Sometimes I want to start a new shell activity with an empty shell window. I don't use tabs because local variables are inherited by new tabs which can cause problems if you are running 2 programs or scripts that set local variables with the same name.
[/quote]

Type "clear" in the shell.....
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote:Type "clear" in the shell.....
I use "cls" which does the same with fewer keystrokes. The point I'm getting at is that you need to enter text in the shell window to clear the window and then grab the mouse to clear the history from a menu. It would be an improvement if there were a keyboard command to clear the history and/or a menu command to clear the window so that all the clearing could be done without switching between mouse and keyboard.

Also, I've noticed that after I clean the window with cls (or clear), the bottom history line sometimes jumps back onto the top line of the shell window before I can grab the mouse and select the "clear history" menu. It doesn't always occur, so it may depend on the size of the size of the shell window or amount of history. I'm still trying to find a consistant way to reproduce the problem. It's a minor issue that I can live with though.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

I use "cls" which does the same with fewer keystrokes. The point I'm getting at is that you need to enter text in the shell window to clear the window and then grab the mouse to clear the history from a menu. It would be an improvement if there were a keyboard command to clear the history and/or a menu command to clear the window so that all the clearing could be done without switching between mouse and keyboard.
This is test isn't it, your trying to catch me out :-) It must be because an amiga user as experinced as yourself would know to use the menu shortcut (RAMIGA Z) to clear the history from the keyboard.
Also, I've noticed that after I clean the window with cls (or clear), the bottom history line sometimes jumps back onto the top line of the shell window before I can grab the mouse and select the "clear history" menu. It doesn't always occur, so it may depend on the size of the size of the shell window or amount of history. I'm still trying to find a consistant way to reproduce the problem. It's a minor issue that I can live with though.
It doesn't happen here quite as you describe, but if you clear history from the menu then clear from the keyboard the last history item does seem to remain. Order seems important, doing both from the keyboard doesn't seem to create this issue.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

@xenic:

For a complete Reset clearing screen and history, try the "Reset" sequence: "ESC c". You can easily make up a "reset" script to do it for you.
eg:

Alias Reset Echo "*Ec"
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote: This is test isn't it, your trying to catch me out :-) It must be because an amiga user as experinced as yourself would know to use the menu shortcut (RAMIGA Z) to clear the history from the keyboard.
Although I'm aware of menu shortcuts, it didn't occur to me to use one because I've become so accustomed to clearing the window and history with menus in Kingcon. Old habits can get in the way sometimes :-)
It doesn't happen here quite as you describe, but if you clear history from the menu then clear from the keyboard the last history item does seem to remain. Order seems important, doing both from the keyboard doesn't seem to create this issue.
Yes. clearing the history first almost always leaves the last history item. That's why I started clearing the window first but noticed that sometimes (not always) the bottom history line drops down into view in the window after I clear the window. It's more of a quirk that a real problem. I'll switch to clearing both (window & buffer) from the command line and see if that eliminates the problem.