Uninstall into Installer feature

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
HKvalhe

Uninstall into Installer feature

Post by HKvalhe »

When installing things on AmigaOS4, you never actually see an Uninstall feature. Would it be a good idea to include an option to Uninstall unwanted stuffs? Such a feature could be added to all programs and tools that use the Installer, but when you want to remove something installed, you could choose Uninstall and VOILA, the stuff you want to remove is then uninstalled. It will be like Delete, but removing the installed stuff in one go.

Is this something worth consider, for instance? Into the upcoming AmigaOS 4.2, as a request to try help accelerate the AmigaOS 4.2 development? I want to make up for my frustration earlier, and when i saw the clarification news, i became very happy, so i want to do my best to try bringing up good, valuable ideas that might help :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
chris

Re: Uninstall into Installer feature

Post by chris »

HKvalhe wrote:When installing things on AmigaOS4, you never actually see an Uninstall feature. Would it be a good idea to include an option to Uninstall unwanted stuffs? Such a feature could be added to all programs and tools that use the Installer, but when you want to remove something installed, you could choose Uninstall and VOILA, the stuff you want to remove is then uninstalled. It will be like Delete, but removing the installed stuff in one go.
This has been part of the Installer style guide since forever.

Code: Select all

Always, always, always allow for a deinstallation in your script.
     This is another reason to avoid spreading files around too much.
Of course, nobody bothers. Most things you only need to delete the directory you've installed into anyway.
HKvalhe

Re: Uninstall into Installer feature

Post by HKvalhe »

@Chris
While i do agree with you on all this, it would still feel more professional to have the Uninstall feature to remove unwanted stuffs that have been installed.

This feature is starting to become more used in standalone programs now, which is very good. So using this option to quickly remove an installed application or tool is very welcome.

It is also important to understand that Amiga needs to lift the limitation of only been viewed as "a hobby system left in the shadow by the main computer industry". We want to give Amiga a more serious profile, don't you agree? This is going to happen forward now...hence the clarification given from Hyperion Entertainment on their statement recently, which is another topic.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio