Dual Snapshot

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
Srtest

Dual Snapshot

Post by Srtest »

I don't know the inner workings of how snapshot works. I guess it is based on placement and settings and is based on the what is open like drawers and the desktop. I find that if you already have a feature like snapshot, a dual memory slot of some sort for text mode as well as icon mode could me more helpfull in regard to different drawers and organization of files, especially on the Amiga where you don't have to register most things that are needed or something simliar and can put them together wherever you like. A drawer can have a double setting, one for text mode when you can view all of what is in it according to your categorization and another where you quicklly get to your icon layout.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Dual Snapshot

Post by tonyw »

I think that if you snapshot the window, all the settings for both icon mode and text mode should be saved.

Maybe the icon/text mode settings are global rather than peculiar to the window. I'll check...
cheers
tony
gazelle

Post by gazelle »

@tonyw

I think you misunderstood Srtest.

Right now if you snapshot the drawer (window) all states (size, position, show by, ...) is saved for that drawer (it's not global).

What Srtest wants (or what I think he wants) is to snapshot the size and position for the different "show by" (icon or text) state for that particular drawer, so two different states for the same drawer when the content is shown by icon or text.
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

gazelle wrote:@tonyw

I think you misunderstood Srtest.

Right now if you snapshot the drawer (window) all states (size, position, show by, ...) is saved for that drawer (it's not global).

What Srtest wants (or what I think he wants) is to snapshot the size and position for the different "show by" (icon or text) state for that particular drawer, so two different states for the same drawer when the content is shown by icon or text.
Well, you can type it and I'll put my nick on it :-)

I don't think it is about global/local although that approach is interesting on its own merit as far as a more manual perspective on aranging drawers and files.

I thought about that I'm probably not the only one which uses a "downloads" misc drawer where I put all my non-sorted stuff from day to day use. The thing is, this is also my daily testing, trying and general going through all sorts of uses. I mean, the desktop & drawers are not like a house with rooms that need organizing because nowdays space is mostly irrelevent on the A1. You can just sort of "drop" everything in one place and categorize at a later date (if ever...) while still making use of the same directory and the risk takers can even mix programs with storing. You can have your manual layout of icons which on Amiga are usually quite telling and pretty, and alongside it have your text mode view's preference saved for a view of the entire folder, so you can switch between both. Perhaps also add the size, desktop location and position of scroll bar saved as well. My suggestion is at least to have two slots saved for two completlly different types of viewing.