RoadShow reset handler not wait for unresponsive apps

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
Deniil

RoadShow reset handler not wait for unresponsive apps

Post by Deniil »

When performing a softreset it seems there are some reset handlers that are run. It seems like RoadShow sends Ctrl-C to all programs that have bsdsocket.library open, then wait forever until the opencount has reached zero. Not all Amiga programs respond to Ctrl-C (AmIRC for example), so a softreset is never possible while AmIRC is running.

Typically when the system has become unstable (like after watching a video in Odyssey), it may not be possible to close down other MUu programs, like AmIRC, and so a softreset it not possible and I have to wait a full minute for the X1000 to make a cold reboot.

If this reset handle could have a timeout and simply ignore that bsdsocket.library is still open after 5 secs or something and continue anyway it would be very nice.
chris

Re: RoadShow reset handler not wait for unresponsive apps

Post by chris »

Deniil wrote:When performing a softreset it seems there are some reset handlers that are run. It seems like RoadShow sends Ctrl-C to all programs that have bsdsocket.library open, then wait forever until the opencount has reached zero. Not all Amiga programs respond to Ctrl-C (AmIRC for example), so a softreset is never possible while AmIRC is running.
I think that's a bug in AmIRC. All bsdsocket-supporting programs are supposed to respond to Ctrl-C and shut themselves down (or at least close bsdsocket.library) as it is notification that the TCP/IP stack is exiting. With RoadShow it's not such a problem, as bsdsocket.library is on disk, but with older TCP/IP stacks where bsdsocket.library is in memory I suspect it's an absolute requirement. I don't know the internals enough to know if RoadShow actually needs all programs to shut down.
If this reset handle could have a timeout and simply ignore that bsdsocket.library is still open after 5 secs or something and continue anyway it would be very nice.
I don't even see the reset handler here (I just tested). Do they not work on SAM440? Is it definitely RoadShow doing this, not something else you have installed with a reset handler that sends Ctrl-C to all processes? I don't see why RoadShow needs to install a reset handler and shut itself down cleanly, as it doesn't have any state information.
Deniil

Re: RoadShow reset handler not wait for unresponsive apps

Post by Deniil »

Is it really documented that all Internet programs need to respond to Ctrl-C?

And yes, I also think it is unnecessary for RoadShow to need to shut down cleanly. Sure it is nice to try, but freezing the machine when it fails is annoying.