Menuclass localization hook: also empty result

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
xenic

Re: Menuclass localization hook: also empty result

Post by xenic »

trixie wrote: Well we haven't been talking about (or changing anything in the wiki) in relation to system keyboard shortcuts ("System Keyboard Shortcuts" and "Application Keyboard Shortcuts" are two different sub-chapters) but I agree this should be consistent. Could anyone from the OS dev team please comment on that?
After thinking about the issue for a while I'm convinced we should "leave well enough alone" with regard to translating or not translating keyboard shortcuts. Is it possible that some languages might not have any keyboard keys that correspond to letters in the English alphabet?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

IANAD (I am not a developer ;-)), just a beta tester and a translator.

I know there are unfortunately still Workbench translations which changed the menu shortcut keys to be different from the English originals.

The translations have been handled by volunteers from (mostly) ATO, or what's left of it, and they are all more or less based on the original translations made by Commodore back in WB 2.1. Unfortunately back then, Commodore made the error themselves of changing the keys - and (as pointed out earlier) recommending this approach. And some of the translation teams have so far preferred to stick with the old key assignments.

I handled the Danish translation; the first non-CBM versions were made by me and three other Danish ATO people during the 3.5 and 3.9 years, and I have since maintained it alone. We did fix the menu keys early on, but not everybody has had the time or inclination to do so with their translations.

In an ideal world, the development team should of course have a policy on this and stipulate the rules for also the volunteering translators, but as things are, we should probably just count ourselves lucky that there is still a will to organize the effort of getting translations updated, collected and beta-tested for each new major CD release.

About xenic's question, are there languages which don't have the letters used in English? Yes, there are; probably not European, or at least not Western European, i.e. everyone using a variant of ISO8859 should be okay. But when we get into cyrillic or arabic or other scripts, it's an entirely different matter, and I agree that rules like these will have to be broken there.

Best regards,

Niels
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

âuote$
I just noticed that if I change my system language to French, the first menu item in the Workbench menu has what appears to be "Az" (R_Amiga lowercase z) which does nothing on my system. Am I mistaking the lowercase z for another character?
âuote$

H,,, french keyboqrd lqyout is zeird1

I see Eq,igq Q err RAmiga A for the first short cut; A is ofcourse on the Q qnd Z the W so zhen testing you ,qy not be pressing the right key:::

Ugh excuse ,e zhile I reset ,y locqle1::::