Tabs for Notepad

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
Raziel

Tabs for Notepad

Post by Raziel »

Hi devs,

would it be possible/feasible/a good thing to add tabs to Notepad, just like it was done with the Shell?

That would give me back a great deal of viewing space when editing two files or comparing or something else with two or more open Notepads involved (i always end up closing those windows - even if i still need them - just because they cover up everything beneath them, with tabs that would be so much tidier and modern).
Yes, i know i could resize them, but having two small Notepad windows open is still a waste of one open Notepad window, if we'd got tabs ;-)

I'd like to ask for such a feature

Thanks a lot
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Tabs for Notepad

Post by tonyw »

I think that's a good question and I'll make an Enhancement Request for it.

(edit)
I found an existing request for that same feature, so I've "bumped" it and repeated your "vote".
(/edit)
cheers
tony
trixie

Post by trixie »

@tonyw

I volunteer to do the job.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Are you volunteering to become a developer? Because with your experience and knowledge, you would be made very welcome.

Unless you were a signed-up developer, I doubt that they would let you have the sources. But I'll ask, you never know.
cheers
tony
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

@trixie

You hardly need the notepad srcs to create atabbed editor based on texteditor.gadget, trustt me, I know....
trixie

Post by trixie »

@tonyw
tonyw wrote:Are you volunteering to become a developer? Because with your experience and knowledge, you would be made very welcome.
Well I'm volunteering to do all those mundane little jobs the Team can never find time for :-) If that requires signing a contract, very well, that's no problem.

@broadblues
You hardly need the notepad srcs to create a tabbed editor based on texteditor.gadget
I know but why reimplement things from scratch? I'd have to devise at least my own undo/redo system, which would be a waste of time considering that it's already in and working.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
chris

Post by chris »

trixie wrote:Well I'm volunteering to do all those mundane little jobs the Team can never find time for :-) If that requires signing a contract, very well, that's no problem.
Fix amigaguide.library whilst you're there ;)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

If you are serious about becoming a developer, please contact ssolie (Steven Solie) or Cyborg (Costel Mincea) in the first instance.

After discussion, I get the impression that such an enhancement to Notepad is considered unimportant, with other third-party solutions on the way. "They" think that programs like Notepad should be left as basic utilities, with the bells and whistles provided by third-party programs.
cheers
tony
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

Fix amigaguide.library whilst you're there
Yeah, that annoing thing which are here for 10 years : broken copy+paste by mouse from amiga guide documents ! I just can't mark by mouse portions of text in amiga guide to be able to ctrl+c it for later ctrl+v. It was discussed few times, it was reported few times (one times per 2-3 years), and no one was brave enough to fix it )
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

@kas1e

It's not broken, it's unimplmented, quite a difference. I've no idea of the internal structure of a guide file when loaded into memeory, but I guarantee from working with other types of hyper text it wont be flat text and so whilst doable, it won't (or at least might not) be trivial.