Z3-memory support

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
develin

Z3-memory support

Post by develin »

Hi,

Would be nice to have additional Z3-memory useable to the system as real memory and not only for SWAP (feels crippled as it is now).
Could you please at least make this optional so you can adjust how the Z3 memory is handled so it can work as under normal AmigaOS 3.x ?
thomasrapp

Re: Z3-memory support

Post by thomasrapp »

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... 728#p30728
Thomas Frieden wrote:For giggles, I once tried running code from mainboard memory. Was just outputting stuff to the console... Remember those old 300 baud acoustic couplers ? Those were faster than this...
develin

Post by develin »

@thomasrapp

Well, make it optional but not set as default then =)

Hyperion would please both thoose who has Z3-memory board(s) and don't wanna realize how slow it would be under OS4 plus that uses WinUAE/FS-UAE as their main OS4-development platform (like myself)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

What exactly are you asking for? Hyperion has no say over UAE.
cheers
tony
davebraco
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by davebraco »

Tony,

UAE already support Z3 memory board, Is it really slow on real hardware but should be a way faster under emulation.
µA1 256mo SATA -> lend to a dev
A1200PPC 256Mo MediatorTX Radeon9250 SATA RTL8029 SOLO-1
Sam440ep 533mhz 512mo 64Go SSD
Sam460ex 1150mhz 2Go RadeonHD 6570LP ENVY24HT
AmigaOne X1000 4Go SSD R9 270X Catweasel MK4
AmigaOne X5000 -> work in progress
develin

Post by develin »

tonyw wrote:What exactly are you asking for? Hyperion has no say over UAE.
Well my initial question is what I ask for nothing related to UAE, just for the OS itself to be compatible as it once was.

Like Dave says, (Win/FS-)UAE covers everything and beyond so all that is needed is to enable Z3-memory cards to be integrated into normal memory.
There will be no context switch and delays like on real hardware since everything is emulated.
I assume coders like me would be able to do more work inside OS4 (via emulation) if this was possible and since there where a boom of sales of the classic release I assume that more than me would be glad to see such feature since I think that a lot of the new users are using it via emulation.
Prober
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Prober »

Yes, Dave is right. Under emulation memory speed is not really restrictive. However, as Hyperion already said in past - WinUAE is not a supported platform and probably never will. Although ... never say never :D
Pegasos II, G4 7447 / 1266MHz, 2048MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9250, HDD 2x360GB, ZIP250 USB, USB floppy, HP LaserJet 1100, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 1
develin

Post by develin »

Prober wrote:Yes, Dave is right. Under emulation memory speed is not really restrictive. However, as Hyperion already said in past - WinUAE is not a supported platform and probably never will. Although ... never say never :D
I understand that emulation is not Hyperions highest priority and this request is not per se a wish for support for WinUAE (even though it would be great to have it officially).
To my understandning is this feature request rather easy to add to the system and if that can in return gain users and (even more welcome) developers who wont (or cant) take the leap of buying a expensive machine just to "play" with the system to learn to code for AmigaOS.

I'd say that such decision would probably gain some extra sales for Hyperion (for sure) and wake interest for the developer to make a bigger jump to a dedicated hardware later on.
Maybe just my thinking, but the biggest showstopper for new blood is the steep price level to be able to start develop for OS4.
duga

Post by duga »

develin wrote:
Prober wrote:Yes, Dave is right. Under emulation memory speed is not really restrictive. However, as Hyperion already said in past - WinUAE is not a supported platform and probably never will. Although ... never say never :D
I understand that emulation is not Hyperions highest priority and this request is not per se a wish for support for WinUAE (even though it would be great to have it officially).
To my understandning is this feature request rather easy to add to the system and if that can in return gain users and (even more welcome) developers who wont (or cant) take the leap of buying a expensive machine just to "play" with the system to learn to code for AmigaOS.

I'd say that such decision would probably gain some extra sales for Hyperion (for sure) and wake interest for the developer to make a bigger jump to a dedicated hardware later on.
Maybe just my thinking, but the biggest showstopper for new blood is the steep price level to be able to start develop for OS4.
It's not impossible to find a second hand 4.1 FE compatible system for 200-300 euros. Not the fastest system (most probably a Sam440), but with more memory (1024 MB) compared to WinUAE (128 MB).
develin

Post by develin »

duga wrote:It's not impossible to find a second hand 4.1 FE compatible system for 200-300 euros. Not the fastest system (most probably a Sam440), but with more memory (1024 MB) compared to WinUAE (128 MB).
I'd say it's still to much effort hunting a machine down for a mearly curious developer who would like to try it out a little before doing more investments.
It's one thing for a convinced users but totaly new or older amigans might want to be enlighted to open their wallets first.
For myself, I like the idea of having a portable machine and the options here is rather limited.