Request the devs work with Toni Wilen to support UAE OS4.1

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
AegisPrime

Request the devs work with Toni Wilen to support UAE OS4.1

Post by AegisPrime »

This is a polite request for Hyperion and the AmigaOS 4 devs to open a line of communication with Toni for the betterment of UAE.

The latest test version of WinUAE has working uaehf.device support and also uaegfx support allowing up to 512MB video RAM in OS 4.1 - see thread here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81146

I purchased OS 4.1 to use with Amiga Forever 2016 and am very pleased to see rapid development in WinUAE's support for this - I'd love to see AmigaOS running optimally with Z3 RAM and the same device support that AmigaOS 3.x offers on WinUAE.

Thanks!
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Request the devs work with Toni Wilen to support UAE OS4

Post by tonyw »

Z3 RAM will never give the perfromance that you would describe as "fully operational". There is a fundamental bottleneck to accessing memory on the Zorro bus (which is why all accelerator boards have RAM on the accelerator board). There is no software enhancement that can ever make Z3 RAM work as well as "accelerator RAM".
cheers
tony
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

This is about emulation. There is no speed difference between different RAM types on an emulator. Even Chip RAM would be fast enough (and WinUAE allows 1 GB Chip RAM).
AegisPrime

Post by AegisPrime »

tonyw wrote:Z3 RAM will never give the perfromance that you would describe as "fully operational". There is a fundamental bottleneck to accessing memory on the Zorro bus (which is why all accelerator boards have RAM on the accelerator board). There is no software enhancement that can ever make Z3 RAM work as well as "accelerator RAM".
This is exactly why I'm appealing to Hyperion and the AmigaOS devs to open a dialogue with Toni since your statement is correct as far as hardware goes but WinUAE works differently and as Thomas states, Z3 RAM in WinUAE is as fast as any other kind of RAM in the emulation (in fact, it's preferred with most 3.x 040/060 configurations sporting *only* Chip and Z3 RAM).

Allowing the use of Z3 RAM in AmigaOS 4.1 would be a real game-changer for WinUAE (and by association, Amiga Forever) - other than that, I'm not asking for any special consideration for emulator users but if you could support Toni's efforts by answering any questions he might have as he continues to work on WinUAE's AOS4 support then the community as a whole stands to benefit.

Thanks for taking an interest!
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Toni only has to ask any of us and he will receive any assistance he needs.
cheers
tony
AegisPrime

Post by AegisPrime »

Thank you Tony - that's very much appreciated! I'll pass that on :)

*Edit* for those that are curious as to the current state of OS 4.1 support in WinUAE, I've prepared a small (47MB) 1440x1080 .mp4 - for some reason the playback's a little off (too fast - capturing near-HD 60fps video from the emulator's fairly demanding) but the setup is very usable and whilst not shown, PPaint PPC runs nicely on it as do most applications I've tried (still a newbie to OS4 though so there's a few things I haven't been able to get working). There's a few graphics oddities in the video (Cinnamon not refreshing its panel) due to the capture - this isn't present in the emulation.

There's no compositing support yet but Toni hopes to implement a Voodoo 3 emulation in WinUAE which will bring even more options to the table. One very nice feature that's already working is shared directories with the host OS - it's quite slow at the moment but in time it could potentially run AmigaOS directly from a shared folder.

Here's the video (better to download it, Dropbox's video player is awful): https://db.tt/MCdrDiNW
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

tonyw wrote:Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Toni only has to ask any of us and he will receive any assistance he needs.
So, does that mean that there's something that Toni can do with code in WinUAE that will enable the use of Z3 RAM as main system RAM? Because that would be wonderful news!
AegisPrime

Post by AegisPrime »

Daedalus wrote:So, does that mean that there's something that Toni can do with code in WinUAE that will enable the use of Z3 RAM as main system RAM? Because that would be wonderful news!
No, because WinUAE already supports Z3 RAM - Hyperion has to allow AmigaOS 4.1 to use Z3 as RAM instead of swap in order for it to work - if they update 4.1 Classic then it'll just work.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

The request has been made. I don't see any value in continuing the discussion. Locking.
ExecSG Team Lead