Filer: Suggestion: drawers -> folders

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Filer: Suggestion: drawers -> folders

Post by broadblues »

Personally I like filer, and much prefer over DOpus5 as it doesn't replace the workbench, but augments it. It relies largely of defcon (though has it's own filetypes too, which I barely use) thus behaves very much in the same way.

As to integration, I have it added to the context menu for Volumes, Directories and Drawers. (FE by default only adds to Volumes IIRC).

Overall this is much more useful than the double click to open, which is not 100% relaiable anyway.

I also have a set of scripts I use for snapshots of certain src code directories, left out on the workbench as shortcuts.

Moral of my tale is with a little improvisation and innovations you can make your own integrated system to your own tastes, ARexx is your friend....

In terms of src updates, arround the time it was passed over to Hyperion, as a favour to Steven Solie I updated it to build with the current SDK and fixed one small bug.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

My context menu lines added are:

SYS:Utilities/Filer/Filer.info,Disk,Open in Filer,CLI,SYS:Utilities/Filer/Filer %f

SYS:Utilities/Filer/Filer.info,Directory,Open in Filer,CLI,SYS:Utilities/Filer/Filer %f

SYS:Utilities/Filer/Filer.info,Drawer,Open in Filer,CLI,SYS:Utilities/Filer/Filer %f

shortcut scripts are as minimal as

sys:utilities/filer/filer projects:sketchblock/sketchblock
marko

Post by marko »

Nowadays Filer is my primary tool for file handling (next is the Shell, then Dopus 4), I've used it many years now...

I think it's pretty fine as it is already. IMHO
AmigaOS 4.1 FE on Sam440ep-flex @ 800MHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250
Still waiting (or dreaming) for The Amiga revolution...
m4rko.com/AMIGA
marko

Post by marko »

However, when it comes to WorkBench and Filer:

I think that Filer should be included in the Dock as default, when the OS is installed. (Since it's an excellent file manager, and simple to grasp how it works, EDIT: and it does what it's supposed to do.)

:)
Last edited by marko on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaOS 4.1 FE on Sam440ep-flex @ 800MHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250
Still waiting (or dreaming) for The Amiga revolution...
m4rko.com/AMIGA
trixie

Post by trixie »

broadblues wrote:Personally I like filer, and much prefer over DOpus5 as it doesn't replace the workbench, but augments it.
+ 1. I'm not a fan of DOpus5 either, and I don't call for replacing Workbench in this vein. But I like Filer and use it every day. Thanks for the tip with ContextMenus, I've now added it to my configuration file.
Overall this is much more useful than the double click to open, which is not 100% relaiable anyway.
I wonder if this is a problem in the CX launcher, or in the Commodities Library. Might be worth inspecting.
as a favour to Steven Solie I updated it to build with the current SDK and fixed one small bug.
I'm quite sure Steven Solie would receive more favours if he actually asked for help.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

I started using Filer because we didn't have DOpus 5 on OS4. Now that we have it, I still stick with Filer. :)

However, it's awfully buggy. I won't use it for large transfers because it's so slow compared to DOpus 4 or 5 (ah, the irony...). It's supposed to open a new Filer when I click on the workbench, but half the time that doesn't work. And with FE, the drag n drop option has broken.

Would love to see it updated.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

Should someone have the time to work on it, please add a Tooltype or the likes to disable the "middle mouse button to parent" behaviour. It conflicts with FKey or ClickToFront if the Middle Mouse Button is used there.

The ReadMe states "-Add support for fourth mouse button as parent" for verision 53.29 but I could not find any setting or ToolType (tried a few using the most common naming scheme used in other ToolTyper e.g. NoMidButton, NOMMB, etc with no avail) to set the fourth instead of the MiddleMouse button.

thanks for reading. :-)