Unarc and default file types

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
daveyw

Unarc and default file types

Post by daveyw »

Hi,

If you open an archive with Unarc, and double click on a compressed file, Unarc will extract the file to T: and launch Multiview to open it... provided there is a datatype for it.

Would it be possible to launch the default application through Deficons instead? It would be more flexible and useable than Multiview.
xenic

Re: Unarc and default file types

Post by xenic »

daveyw wrote:Hi,

If you open an archive with Unarc, and double click on a compressed file, Unarc will extract the file to T: and launch Multiview to open it... provided there is a datatype for it.

Would it be possible to launch the default application through Deficons instead? It would be more flexible and useable than Multiview.
That could lead to unintended results. If Deficons recognized the file as a diskimage it would get mounted. If Deficons recognized the file as an archive it would open a new copy of UnArc. If Deficons recognized the file as an installer file it would open the installer. Maybe that's what you want but personally I would like a prefs option to have it work the way it does now if it were changed to use DefIcons.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Not to mention what would happen if a file is recognized as an executable script, and it happens to contain "Delete SYS: all quiet force" or something ...

Best regards,

Niels
Scriptjester
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Scriptjester »

But it would be nice that the opened multiview take care of its tooltypes (I think I made a bugzilla for this a long time ago).
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

daveyw wrote:Hi,

There isn't really any such thing as lauching through deficons. DefIcons just provides a default icon for any given file. So what you really mean is open the file with OpenWorkbenchObject() or WBRun it's command line equivalent. That's not going to be a sensible thing to do on a temporary file extracted from and archive, many files are likely to need other support files from withn the archive, perhaps depend on new version of libraries withon that archive etc. Bad stuff wil happen for sure....
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

I really just want to view zipped media without having to extract the entire archive.

Great for pictures, I tend to view them with Multiview anyway, but most modern video codecs have no datatype.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

daveyw wrote:I really just want to view zipped media without having to extract the entire archive.

Great for pictures, I tend to view them with Multiview anyway, but most modern video codecs have no datatype.
As a possible workaround you could maybe mark the "chekcmark gadget" and extract just the file you need. :-)

It should be just 3 more mouse clicks (Or one keyboard shortcut, to open the destination drawer and 2 mouse clicks to open the file..)