Spectre660's Linux downloads for the Sam440/460

Linux only discussion for the AmigaOne 500 and Sam series

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the Sam440/460

Postby Spectre660 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Can you share the model of the keyboard that works please .

javierdlr wrote:Installed kernel 4.4.5 on my SAM450ex and booted linux fine.
Yes I can boot linux again, just found a microzoft USB keyboard that works with latest uboot :-)
Running jessie debian with MATE 1.8.1

Next test will be the usb linux image boot :-)
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the Sam440/460

Postby javierdlr » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:56 am

Spectre660 wrote:Can you share the model of the keyboard that works please .
....


http://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/wired-keyboard-200/jwd-00046

mine is .../jwd-00035 (maybe, 'cos its spanish layout)
User avatar
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:13 pm
Location: Donostia (GUIPUZCOA) - Spain

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the Sam440/460

Postby Spectre660 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:04 am

Thank you.

javierdlr wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:Can you share the model of the keyboard that works please .
....


http://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/wired-keyboard-200/jwd-00046

mine is .../jwd-00035 (maybe, 'cos its spanish layout)
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the Sam440/460

Postby Spectre660 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:00 am

Spectre660
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the Sam440/460

Postby xeno74 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Spectre660 wrote:Sam440ep 4.4.6 Kernel (Untested) .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipllzdma0h40i ... ar.gz?dl=0


Many thanks for the new kernel.

Download: Sam440ep-4.4.6-jm.tar.gz
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the Sam440/460

Postby javierdlr » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:19 pm

xeno74 wrote:Image

Spectre660 released the kernel 4.4.6 for the Sam460 yesterday.

Download: Sam460ex-4.4.6-jm.tar.gz


That one doesn't load/work on my SAM460ex. it just reboots just after i select it from parthenope boot menu :-/
my menu.lst entry:
title Lubuntu 15.10 - Kernel 4.4.6
kernel /uImage-4.4.6-jm root=/dev/sda12 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
dtb /sam460.dtb

#l /boot/ -laF
Code: Select all
total 14226
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root    1024 Mar 28 11:35 ./
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root    4096 Mar 27 11:54 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   10811 Mar 27 12:37 canyonlands.dtb
drwx------  2 root root   12288 Mar 27 11:47 lost+found/
-rw-r--r--  1 root root     412 Mar 28 11:34 menu.lst
-rw-rw-rw-  1 root root   10811 Mar 28 11:27 sam460.dtb
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 3682365 Mar 27 12:37 uImage-3.18.19
-rw-rw-rw-  1 root root 5184678 Mar 28 11:01 uImage-4.4.5-jm
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 5595459 Mar 28 11:27 uImage-4.4.6-jm


And in '/lib/modules/': 3.18.19-Sam460ex 4.4.5-sam460ex-jm 4.4.6-sam460ex-jm
did the same with kernel 4.4.5 and no problem, boots fine. MATE/LXDE.
#uname -a
Linux Sam460ex 4.4.5-sam460ex-jm #3 PREEMPT Thu Mar 10 18:26:04 AST 2016 ppc ppc ppc GNU/Linux
User avatar
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:13 pm
Location: Donostia (GUIPUZCOA) - Spain

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the Sam440/460

Postby Spectre660 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:47 pm

@javierdlr

Sorry about that.
I only realized the problem yesterday.I have been booting via Uboot from USB thumb drives.
See below .
I will post a link to the .img file of a newer 4.4.6 version with more stuff builtin.
================================================================================================================

Changing Times.

The Sam460ex kernel is now too big to work with the ub2lb boot loader so must be booted from Uboot .
Also ub2lb can have serious problems if a EXT4 partition exists on your hard drive.
The end result is it gets stuck tying to load the boot menu so no access to OS 4.1 either.

In testing the 4.6-rc1 kernel I realized that keeping the size small enough for the Sam460ex ub2lb boot loader was not going to work
without removing the some of the Radeon firmware which would mean two different versions to support the graphics cards.
I decided to go in the opposite direction and make larger kernels with many more drivers now built in instead of being modules.

As an option I have created a small boot .img of a 256MB thumb drive for Sam460ex with the new kernel .
It may be easier to test by writing a small test .img to a spare usb thumb drive than change the existing thumb drive.

Decompress and write image to a usb thumb drive.
Examples of the Uboot variables for the Sam460ex are on the Amigaone partition in the Documentation directory in a text file .
This file can be run under AmigaOS 4.1 as a script file using the execute command to set the Uboot variables.
Edit it to make sure that the correct root partition for Linux on the hard drive is set in the Uboot variable.
The example uses /dev/sda8.
From Uboot command line use
run lb1
to boot a Linux installation on hard drive.
The lb2 variable is for booting a Linux root partition on a USB thumb drive like the Ubuntu-Mate 16.04 .img .
These images will always have /sdb2 as the root partition so no need to change in the script file .

Regards
Julian



javierdlr wrote:
xeno74 wrote:Image

Spectre660 released the kernel 4.4.6 for the Sam460 yesterday.

Download: Sam460ex-4.4.6-jm.tar.gz


That one doesn't load/work on my SAM460ex. it just reboots just after i select it from parthenope boot menu :-/
my menu.lst entry:
title Lubuntu 15.10 - Kernel 4.4.6
kernel /uImage-4.4.6-jm root=/dev/sda12 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
dtb /sam460.dtb

#l /boot/ -laF
Code: Select all
total 14226
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root    1024 Mar 28 11:35 ./
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root    4096 Mar 27 11:54 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   10811 Mar 27 12:37 canyonlands.dtb
drwx------  2 root root   12288 Mar 27 11:47 lost+found/
-rw-r--r--  1 root root     412 Mar 28 11:34 menu.lst
-rw-rw-rw-  1 root root   10811 Mar 28 11:27 sam460.dtb
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 3682365 Mar 27 12:37 uImage-3.18.19
-rw-rw-rw-  1 root root 5184678 Mar 28 11:01 uImage-4.4.5-jm
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 5595459 Mar 28 11:27 uImage-4.4.6-jm


And in '/lib/modules/': 3.18.19-Sam460ex 4.4.5-sam460ex-jm 4.4.6-sam460ex-jm
did the same with kernel 4.4.5 and no problem, boots fine. MATE/LXDE.
#uname -a
Linux Sam460ex 4.4.5-sam460ex-jm #3 PREEMPT Thu Mar 10 18:26:04 AST 2016 ppc ppc ppc GNU/Linux
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the Sam440/460

Postby Spectre660 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:20 pm

Link to Sam460ex kernel 4.4.6 USB Boot .img .
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d26lmb9lyek9m ... mg.7z?dl=0
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the Sam440/460

Postby javierdlr » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:46 pm

Spectre660 wrote:@javierdlr

Sorry about that.
I only realized the problem yesterday.I have been booting via Uboot from USB thumb drives.
See below .
I will post a link to the .img file of a newer 4.4.6 version with more stuff builtin.
...



Ok, thx, will try such img ASAP. THX again for supporting sam460ex linux distros!!!!
User avatar
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:13 pm
Location: Donostia (GUIPUZCOA) - Spain

Re: Spectre660's Linux downloads for the Sam440/460

Postby xeno74 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:22 am

Spectre660 wrote:Link to Sam460ex kernel 4.4.6 USB Boot .img .
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d26lmb9lyek9m ... mg.7z?dl=0


Hi Spectre660,

Many thanks for the USB boot img. I uploaded it yesterday.

Download: Sam460_4.4.6.img.7z

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
xeno74
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to Platform: AmigaOne 500 and Sam series - Linux Only

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests