Installing on a disk still needed

Linux only discussion for the AmigaOne 500 and Sam series
kilaueabart

Installing on a disk still needed

Post by kilaueabart »

My X1000 died early December. After many fits and starts, I now have Amiga running again on the old SAM460ex that I never got around to trying to sell once I got the X1000.

I installed OS4.1FE anew on the Amiga disk from the X1000. This was a pretty simple matter. The install CD let me copy the system ("DH0:") content to another directory on the hard drive before setting it up for the install, so now I have all the partitions I had on the X1000 plus all the little odds and ends from the old DH0: that I can copy into the new one when needed.

But I had been using Ubuntu MATE perhaps more than the Amiga side until disaster struck. I'm hoping that I can move my Linux hard drive over from the X1000 and restore MATE on it without losing important data. My guess is that an install disk will allow me to format a new, hopefully still unused, area on the drive, and then install the system there. Then I should be able to access the things I need, such as Scribus files, from the new system. As I remember things on Linux, I won't be able to simply install the new system over the old without wiping out my important stuff, but am I wrong by any chance?

And after a few years of using CFE, I'm going to have to learn how to set UBoot to boot a Linux disk. And where will I put the kernel?
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Installing on a disk still needed

Post by javierdlr »

kilaueabart wrote:My X1000 died early December. After many fits and starts, I now have Amiga running again on the old SAM460ex that I never got around to trying to sell once I got the X1000.

I installed OS4.1FE anew on the Amiga disk from the X1000. This was a pretty simple matter. The install CD let me copy the system ("DH0:") content to another directory on the hard drive before setting it up for the install, so now I have all the partitions I had on the X1000 plus all the little odds and ends from the old DH0: that I can copy into the new one when needed.

Hi, it's a bit tricky the first time(s) you install Linux on SAM460ex, but Spectre660 has created an USB live/install here:
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =52&t=3643

And maybe you can try this too: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =52&t=3515 http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... 515#p39258

if you have more question he (and if I can) will help you.
kilaueabart

Re: Installing on a disk still needed

Post by kilaueabart »

After this I'll move over Specter660's thread, but let me ask a couple questions here where it's handy.

I have downloaded the first suggested .img file. Presumably I want it on a USB flash drive. But I'm not sure what I would do next, to use that drive.

I tried to download the second, but so far no luck with Dropbox. Meanwhile I have printed out the last set of instructions from that thread. Maybe they will apply to the first .img file as well?

I had installed some version of Ubuntu on my Amiga HDD, which has the following partitions left over from such attempts:

dhx 93 GBytes \00\00\00\00
dhx 0.023 MBytes LNX\00
dhx 93 GBytes \00\00\00\00

One of those was bootable for a while, but finally quit working. What if I reformat one of those to install MATE on, instead of adding another old disk to the SAM? (Actually I should probably delete those three from the drive and make one more sensibly smaller one for the install. 10 GBytes?)