Keyboard failure OS4 only

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

Keyboard failure OS4 only

Post by kilaueabart »

Every time I use Amiga OS4.1 FE on my X5000 for any substantial amount of time (hour? two hours?) eventually the keyboard will stop working and if I need to do anything I can't do with the mouse I need to press the reset button. When Amiga reboots the keyboard works again.

I use a Logitech wireless keyboard. I seem to recall that I used to be able to fix the keyboard by removing the USB dongle and plugging it into another outlet (and I probably should test that again) but it's hard to get at the back of the computer. Much easier just to reboot.

In any event, it is very peculiar that I don't recall this ever happening when I use Ubuntu 16.04.5 or REMIX, which I might have on all day. Does that make any sense?
xenic

Re: Keyboard failure OS4 only

Post by xenic »

kilaueabart wrote:Every time I use Amiga OS4.1 FE on my X5000 for any substantial amount of time (hour? two hours?) eventually the keyboard will stop working and if I need to do anything I can't do with the mouse I need to press the reset button. When Amiga reboots the keyboard works again.

I use a Logitech wireless keyboard. I seem to recall that I used to be able to fix the keyboard by removing the USB dongle and plugging it into another outlet (and I probably should test that again) but it's hard to get at the back of the computer. Much easier just to reboot.

In any event, it is very peculiar that I don't recall this ever happening when I use Ubuntu 16.04.5 or REMIX, which I might have on all day. Does that make any sense?
After I got my X5000 over a year ago, I reported some USB problems in the topic: "New X5000 owner - USB issues". I couldn't get a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard to be recognized when using both. I ended up switching to the wired "AmigaONE" keyboard that came with my X1000. Another solution I found was to add a short script to AmiDock that runs "USBCtrl RESET". You could try something similar by creating a DOS script that just has a comment and "USBCtrl RESET" and adding a tool icon to the script that is set to: "Start from: Shell". When your keyboard fails, try double-clicking the icon to reset USB and get your keyboard back. If it works for you then it's probably easier than rebooting.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE