AmigaOS 4.1 will not install

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Niolator

AmigaOS 4.1 will not install

Post by Niolator »

I have received my AmigaOne X5000 motherboard and I have assembled it with memory, graphics card, hard drive and an optical drive. It starts up fine and I get to the Early Startup Control Panel. I choose to "Start AmigaOS" and starts from the AmigaOS 4.1 CD-ROM. It starts to read from the CD but when the progress bar reaches it's end the optical drive just spins down and the monitor goes into hibernation. It doesn't matter how long I wait after this nothing more happens.

If I choose "Boot from optical drive" under Boot Options the AmigaOne locks. I can do nothing but a hard reset.

I am hoping for help as I am getting desperate.
Alloye

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 will not install

Post by Alloye »

Niolator wrote:It starts to read from the CD but when the progress bar reaches it's end the optical drive just spins down and the monitor goes into hibernation.
What is your GPU/monitor setup? I had a similar issue when I built my X5000. The CD would boot fine, but right before Workbench came up, my monitor would say that the input frequency was out-of-range and go to sleep. I was using an HDMI-to-HDMI cable when this happened. Switching to a DVI-to-HDMI cable fixed it. (DVI-out from my R9 280X to HDMI-in on my monitor.)
Niolator

Post by Niolator »

I am using a XFK Radeon HD 7870 with a DVI-to-DVI cable. I will see if I have other cables to try with. I could of course test with another monitor to see if it can display the screenmode.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Can you boot the CD? Do it this way:
Power up and wait until the Boing Ball starts to spin.
Type "Escape" and then "m" (for "command line").
You will get a prompt that says "X5000>". Type "Boota" (no quotes) and Enter.
You should now see a list of bootable devices. Hit the space bar or an up/down arrow key to stop the countdown.
One of the devices in the list (usually the last) is "AmigaOS Install CD". Move the arrow on the left of the list, up or down to select the line you want and type Enter.
The machine will then start booting the CD. It is very slow and takes a couple of minutes to load from CD, Vs seconds from HD.

The graphics device driver supplied with the CD is capable of 1024x768 only. The CD should boot up and show a screen in that resolution.
If your graphics card or monitor does not support that resolution, then you will not be able to see anything. It's unlikely but possible. Have you an older/cheaper gfx card or monitor that you can try?
cheers
tony
Niolator

Post by Niolator »

@tonyw: That method does the same thing I have already tried several times. I have tried with another monitor but the same thing happens with that one. Both monitors and the graphics card is capable of displaying 1024x768. I get no "Out of sync" message on any monitor, just DVI - No signal. I could try with a HDMI-to-HDMI cable if I had one. The only other ATI graphics card I have is a really old X1300. I wonder if that type of card is supported?

Maybe there is some environment value I can set or change?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

There are no env vars that are relevant.

Thinking about it a bit more, since the U-Boot display works OK, that proves that the card and monitor can work in 1024x768 (which is what U-Boot uses).

Have you tried typing "Boota" on the U-Boot command line? I can't boot my X5000 any way but selecting "Command Line" in the "AmigaOne Early Startup Control" screen and then typing "boota" at the prompt.

Once you type "Boota" and hit Enter, what do you see? Do you see the list of bootable devices? What is the top line of the next screen?

Can you select the line "AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition"? Do you see the Kickstart loading really slowly? How long does it take to load Kickstart?

Please forgive the simple questions, but I want to know exactly what is happening.

Do you have another computer with a serial port that can capture the output of the X5000's serial debug information?
cheers
tony
Niolator

Post by Niolator »

I have tried to start it both from the command line and the menu (Start AmigaOS). It makes no difference at all. It behaves the same way. When I get to choose between bootable devices I see two of them. That is because I use the hard drive that I had in my SAM 460 (which I have sold). The default choice is to start from the CD which I always do. I am planning to format DH0 and install the OS on that partition and keep what I have on the other partitions. At first I thought that the problem might be caused by some kind of conflict with the SAM 460 installation so I tried to start from the CD without any hard drive attached. It made no difference at all.

When it starts to read from the CD it takes about 40 seconds to finish the progress bar then the monitor goes black and the CD stops spinning.

I was going to try with the X1300 graphics card but it seem to have stopped working. If I am to try with another graphics card I'll have to buy one.

I am considering trying to get a refund cause I can't pay this much for something that doesn't work. I had no problem putting together my old SAM 460 and installing the OS on it.
Niolator

Post by Niolator »

I just noticed that LED 11 and LED 12 are lit when the AmigaOne is running. In the section of the manual describing the LED's there are no LED 11 and 12 present on the motherboard so I can't tell what it means. I have now tested with a HDMI cable but there is no change.

There must be something I can do. Change some jumper perhaps?
msalcedo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by msalcedo »

As the machine comes up to the boot menu...it seems fine (since you supplied almost all of the components, it could have been anyone of those items)
BUT...What cd are you using? you state 4.1 BUT is it the os4.1FE for the x5000?

I can boot my machine just by leaving the correct cd in the drive and just powering up...it just defaults to the cd start-up!

Maybe the cd is borked?
Niolator

Post by Niolator »

I thought of that and I have tried two different CD's. One that the dealer supplied and one that I downloaded from Hyperions site myself. I have even tried a different DVD-RW drive. I wish I could try a different graphics card but I have to buy one and the ones I can find is rather expensive despite being used.