NGFileSystem

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
pgovotsos

Re: NGFileSystem

Post by pgovotsos »

xeno74 wrote:
pgovotsos wrote: Sometimes it seems like Linux is supposed to be the primary operating system on these machines and not AmigaOS. All of the announcements seem to be about Linux. Funny, I thought these things were supposed to be Amiga computers.
No, Linux isn't the primary operating system on AmigaOnes. It's the second operating system. It should only offer further possibilities. Maybe it could replace an additional PC or Mac. Linux source code is open so there aren't any secrets. All good and bad things can be announced. OS4.1 is a closed operating system so there aren't so much announcements but the OS4 developers work much more than us. I hope you understand what I mean. ;-)

Christian

A-EON Core Linux Support Team
Thanks Christian. I know this but it justs get a bit frustrating sometimes after all the time and expense. I know things will get here "soon" and "soon" in the Amiga world rarely means what it means in the "real" world. It's just ... you know :)

What would the Amiga world be without SOMEone pi$$ing and moaning? Today happened to be my day :)
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

I've found something odd about NGFS.

I have a script for IBrowse that automatically downloads files. It runs fine on my A1XE. Yesterday I tried on my X5000, but it would run for a while and then the downloads would stop. Shortly afterward, the OS locks up in a funny way - I can still move the mouse, but can't click on anything.

I initially thought it might be my network downloading too fast, so I played around with some settings in IBrowse, to no avail.

Then I tried switching my downloads to an SFS partition, and it again worked like a charm.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Sorry for the long silence, but I've been away on holiday.

You should remember that NGFS was released with the X5000 (and A1222/Tabor) as a "pre-taste" or a "demo" of the file system. The version that was released (V54.38 IIRC) is an early version for people to play with.

I make no apologies for any of its bugs - it is still in development, as any betatester will tell you. The betatesters currently have a later version that is more stable, but it still has at least one bug that I am chasing, so it's not ready for release yet. The bugs that are left are now pretty obscure and only occur after a long time and under really unusual conditions, so are harder to reproduce and fix.

If you can get some value out of the demo version, then by all means use it to its limits. Don't forget to keep backups of all your files on another device, using a different file system (VERY important when testing a new file system).
cheers
tony
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

daveyw wrote: I have a script for IBrowse that automatically downloads files. It runs fine on my A1XE. Yesterday I tried on my X5000, but it would run for a while and then the downloads would stop. Shortly afterward, the OS locks up in a funny way - I can still move the mouse, but can't click on anything.
There was no crash report? Even to the serial port?

I don't recall anyone else reporting a problem like this, so I can't suggest anything. It may be an NGFS problem or it may be something else entirely. The FS has advanced so much since then that I can't investigate it anyway.
If you run the check program "C:NGFCheck", it might tell you what is wrong and might even be able to repair it for you.
cheers
tony