Internet Preferences & Losing Network Card issues

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Internet Preferences & Losing Network Card issues

Post by amigasociety »

My X5K just arrived. A bit beaten, case damaged... cables unplugged inside... but getting it going.

She boots but experiencing odd internet/network card issues. Neither DHCP or Static IP settings seem to stick even when saving them from Internet Prefs. They are all there after reboot but the card that came in the system, a 8139 based PCI Card, does not stay linked up once Workbench loads.

I have the side panel off to watch the Ethernet Cards light.... At boot, it shines bright green and it sees my router. Once Workbench comes on the light goes dim and I no longer appear to have a link.

Opening Internet Prefs I have toggled between DHCP and Static IP, and no specific reasons when I select one or the other or even have check marks in both, and select USE and Save, the light comes on steady green, and I have a live internet now. The dialog window that appears after I saved shows it got an IP, etc...

Reboot and all is lost meaning no internet, light dim green once to workbench. I go check settings in Internet Prefs and all as I left them, but I have zip for internet. So I can toggle static and DHCP for a few minutes, saving each time, then eventually the light goes full green and I gave a feed again.

Reboot, it all starts over again.

:shock:

TJ

*If taking pics of my Internet Pref screens would help, I can do that so let me know. Selected rtl8139.device as my NIC as I beleive that to be the correct one. Clicking modify in that Interfaces link Device Type is Ethernet, Unit Port 0, and if I select Static IP I have 10.0.1.28 typed in with subnet of 255.255.255.0. If I select Try Dynamic I type 10.0.1.1 in the hostname field. Is that what it should be? Maybe that is where I am off?

My router is at 10.0.1.1 so that is what I set the Host and IP address of 10.0.1.1 with hostname 10.0.1.1 and selected USE.

Name resolution I typed in 10.0.1.1.

Maybe one of some of these settings I have off but like I said... I get connected.... with these settings at some point.. and Save them. Reboot though kills my internet and NIC no longer has activity light bright green
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Re: Internet Preferences & Losing Network Card issues

Post by amigasociety »

Some pictures of my Internet Preferences settings just in case this can help.

I must have them right or close to make a connection and then use iBrowse to do basic surfing. But reboot X5K and no longer can connect yet all settings I did to get on before are still there. So not like it is losing them.

Maybe upon boot they are not really being re-loaded and accessed?

TJ

ModifyNetworkInterface.JPG
Interface.JPG
InternetConnected.JPG
Last edited by amigasociety on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

ModifyHost.JPG
Hosts.JPG

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

NameResolution#2.JPG
NameResolution#1.JPG

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

What is also interesting, for me at least, is when I toggle to DHCP and it grabs an IP #, it is always the 10.0.1.28 that I had previously set the Static IP to. I wonder why it is not grabbing other #s like 10.0.1.12 or whatever. Always .28. Wonder if this dialog box that says I got an IP until 12/31/2016 is really valid or what. All I know once I get this screen again, I have internet. Reboot and its all gone but settings remain. Only way to get Internet again is change to static, it fails.... change back to DHCP, and I seem to get on. Not always but seems to be a track record now.

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
msalcedo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by msalcedo »

Why didn't you just use the new connection tool in the internet drawer?
It walks you thru all that stuff...
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

I will try that tomorrow Michael. Just since I had X1K using these same settings before, I just was used to using the Internet Prefs.

I will try this new Internet Connection and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip.

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
gazelle

Post by gazelle »

Why are you using IP-Addresses as hostnames (that's confusing maybe not only me)?

In the very first pircture (interface config) you selected DHCP and define your hostname as "10.0.1.1" but 10.0.1.1 is clearly the IP address of your router. This might confuse the DHCP server and/or roadshow?

Try a real name instead eg. "AmigaX5k".
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

amigasociety wrote:What is also interesting, for me at least, is when I toggle to DHCP and it grabs an IP #, it is always the 10.0.1.28 that I had previously set the Static IP to. I wonder why it is not grabbing other #s like 10.0.1.12 or whatever. Always .28. Wonder if this dialog box that says I got an IP until 12/31/2016 is really valid or what. All I know once I get this screen again, I have internet. Reboot and its all gone but settings remain. Only way to get Internet again is change to static, it fails.... change back to DHCP, and I seem to get on. Not always but seems to be a track record now.

TJ
DHCP routers tend to allocate an address to a specific device and give the same address on next connection up to a certain timeout.

When using staic IP you should *not* allocate one withing the DHCP range of the router. The router may have allready allocated that address (possible even for your own machine) and that will cause network weirdness.

In the case of my router the default range for DHCP is

192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200

I've altered that to be

192.168.1.103 - 192.168.1.200

so that I can use three fixed ips for my amigas and my linux laptop 100 101 and 102 and be sure that my phne never stomps on the ip of one of the others if the router resets (whioc happen way too often at the moment).
duga

Post by duga »

@broadblues: or you just tell your gateway/router to lock a certain MAC-address to always get the same IP from the DHCP pool. Probably the easiest way if supported by the gateway.